Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blaster Worm

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerdalt

MIS
Oct 30, 2001
US
I'm surprised this hasn't been thrown out yet. I know we've been fighting for a couple of days to get everything patched.

How are others distributing the patch? We have 2 Application Objects chained, one for the MS03-26 patch from Microsoft and another for a Clean utility. The patch is installed first with a popup message to the users stating that an important patch is being installed on their workstation and to please not open any applications until after the workstation has rebooted. Then the cleaner runs to clear any traces of the worm. So far this has been working well for us.

Anyone else got some great methods out there?

Since I don't have ZEN configured yet, I'm hoofing it. What I would give for a few hours of uninterrupted concentration... <sigh>

We had an issue with getting the patch to run. When we set up the app object, we elected to have the object ask for the reboot rather than the patch exe. When we did this, some clients wouldn't run the patch, but go right to the reboot prompt from the app object. Not all did this, only about 25%. Since the app object was looking for the reg key that the patch wrote as an availability filter, it would put the client into a reboot prompt loop each time they logged in.

We resolved it by letting the patch do the reboot, but there was no prompt that it would, so we got a few calls from the usual indignates that were upset that someone else rebooted &quot;THEIR&quot; PC.

Are your users restricted? We want to use Zen to distribute the patches but if the users are restricted in WIN2K systems, do we need to do anything special?

No, the ZenClient interacts with the desktop allowing for files, registry settings and advanced functions like those to be performed.

Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back