Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blaster worm virus patch update failure 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoSim

Technical User
May 1, 2003
GB
after destroying the virus i tried to run the patch update.
but i get the 1068 error follwed by cryptographic service can not start which is needed to authenticate the patch's .ini file i rtyed to go into adminstrative tools and start the service but it refuses to start as anybody got any ideas where i'm going wrong because i have reaserch the error but it does not clariyfy the link beetwen the cryptographic service not running and the error 1068 problem. would apreaciate any help thanks.

Try these one at a time.
Please post back with the solution that resolved it for you.

1. Perform Disk Clean-up checking all boxes except "Compress old
files"
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Clean-up

2. Go to Internet Options in the Control Panel:
Delete Cookies
Delete Files (check box "Delete all offline content")
Clear History

3. Reboot, login to an Administrator account.
Double click My Computer.
Double click C drive.
Double click Windows file.
Double click System32 file.
Right click catroot2, click rename, type "catroot2old"
ENTER
Otherwise:
Start the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel.
Double-click Services.
Right-click Cryptographic Services, and then click Properties.
Click Automatic for Startup type, and then click Start.

4. If Cryptographic Services is already set to Automatic, disable it,
reboot, then go back and set to Automatic.
Reboot

5. Start/Run
Type "msconfig" ENTER
Select "Normal Start-up"
Click OK, follow prompts and reboot

6. Start/Run
Type "cmd" ENTER

a.
Type "net stop cryptsvc" ENTER.
Type "net start cryptsvc" ENTER.
b.
Type "regsvr32 softpub.dll" ENTER.
Type "regsvr32 wintrust.dll" ENTER.
c.
Type "regsvr32 initpki.dll" ENTER.
Type "regsvr32 dssenh.dll" ENTER.
d.
Type "regsvr32 rsaenh.dll" ENTER.
Type "regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll" ENTER.

Close the box and install the patch.

7. Otherwise:
Check for missing/damaged System files:
Start/Run
Type "cmd" ENTER
Type "sfc /scannow" ENTER
Have Windows XP CD nearby.
Reboot when completed.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

************* end quoted section

My own tests showed just doing this solved the problem:

Start, Run, Type "regsvr32 wintrust.dll" ENTER.

thanks for your help but still having no success in starting crptsvc the only thing i did not try was sfc because i have not got the windows xp pro disc at hand any other ideas anybody.

Start the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel.
Double-click Services.
Right-click Cryptographic Services, and then click Properties.
Click Automatic for Startup type, and then click Start.
You can now try to reinstall security patch 823980

If it FAILS again...

TRY this:

Click Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
In the small box that Opens, type the three letters: cmd then click the OK button.
In the command prompt window that just opened (a black background and white text), type the following commands, pressing the ENTER key on your keyboard after each line:
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc

Now type exit to close the command prompt window, and then try to security patch 823980. It should now work... You may in some rare instances have to reboot your machine again first, so give this a try if it fails again...

FAILED again? Well seems to be happening to a few of you... so lets re-register some DLL files. sounds like fun, eh?

In the small box that Opens, type the three letters: cmd then click the OK button.
In the command prompt window that just opened (a black background and white text), type the following commands, pressing the ENTER key on your keyboard after each line:

net start cryptsvc
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Now type the word: exit and the window will close. Now Reboot and try and reply the Microsoft Patch again...

NB - If you just can not face typing all that in the command line, simply download this batch file and run it on your machine... It will do it for YOU!

Failed yet Again?

Well, this is going to happen only to a handful of you... I hope!

Without getting too "techie" on you, there is an issue for some Windows XP users where the computers Software Restriction Policy for the Local Computer only allows "Local computer administrators" to select "trusted publishers". This is causing the failure....

This occurs whether the user installing the security patch is an Administrator or not!

This may mean nothing to you and it does not have too.

Here is the work around:

In the small box that Opens, type: gpedit.msc then click the OK button.
In the new windows that opens you will see a menu on the left hand side.
Under Computer Configuration you will see a folder called Windows Settings - double click it.
The new options that appear directly below include Security Settings - double click it.
The new options that appear directly below include Software
Restriction Policies - double click it.
Now on the right hand side of the window you will see an object called Trusted Publishers - double click it and a new window appears.

In this window change the setting under Allow the following users to select trusted publishers to the default which should be End Users.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To stop future cryptographic service corruption issues, make sure you have installed Windows XP Service Pack 1. Then install the specific patch for this issue: 817287: Critical Update (Catalogue Database Corruption in Microsoft Windows)... (please note you MUST have Windows XP SP1 installed!)

Source:

To bcastner

I must send you my deepest thanks, I have just had a nasty msblast problem with a customer and all of the normal fixes did not work so I tried you .dll re-register and it worked perfectly, you got me out of a tight corner.

I owe you a drink.

Many thanks

[medal]

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

MANY thanks for an excellent post - in my case, though, I still cant get any of several WIN XP PRO services started including the crypto and installer services. So I cant get to square one installing the blaster patch.

I did execute all the steps you discussed, and got no error messages (other than error 1068 when starting services)

In fact, I cant even display the service properties to see the dependency spiderweb. Blaster seems to have crippled something more fundamental.

In other words, if I go to MANAGE services, the EXTENDED view is blank and rightclick for properties doesn't produce any result.

Anybody else out there seeing this and willing to contribute a thought.

Thanks

I would most definitely do the BlackViper restore as suggested by linney.

Sometimes, however, the RPC service will still refuse to start. Assuming all other services are reset to their default values:

Start, run, CMD

net start (check the service again to be sure it is stopped)

net start rpcss
net start (check again)

if no joy, you need to use the XP CD to go to the Recovery Console.

From the Recovery Console type:

enable RpcSs SYSTEM_AUTO_START

reboot the machine.

I think there will be joy in mudville as soon as I can get back to the ailing server. Thanks for the help.

Yep, RPC seems to be the villian - if it doesnt start, and it wont, I see that a whole bunch of things break.

And, yep, RPC errors were what we( and I guess everybody) was seeing when blaster busted loose.

Sigh - I didn't realize Host Integration Server had so many modes to break :)

Thanks

Had this EXACT problem.

My exact symptoms:
Extremely long start up time.
Missing Task Bar.
Windows Update would not work (Not even when trying to manually run the update files).
Norton Live Update would not work.
Could not copy/paste via Windows Explorer.
Could not click Properties in event viewer/services.
Could not start cryptographic service (Error 1068).
Could not start RPC service (Error 1058).

The dll registration didn't work. It is indeed the Remote Call Procedure (RPC) service that was causing the headaches.

Follow these easy steps and all will be solved.

After this fix I got my Task Bar back, Windows starts up in a matter of seconds, I can perform Windows Updates, I can perform Norton Updates, I can copy/paste files via Windows Explorer, and most importantly... I can use this machine again!

WEEEEEeeeeeeeee!!!

HagenPcRenew,
I disabled the Remote Registry and was not able to restart it.
In addition to your loses, I also lost; network connectivity, Fast user switching, audio, MS word registration with Adobe, Adobe uses itself and VB in excel.

I Entered Safe (Dianostic mode) by <START> <RUN> "msconfig"
Then I ran the fix at It worked Great!!

Thanks a Beer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back