Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blank volume labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazeh

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
US
Hi,

I have just installed a Qualstar 6460 unit with 3 DLT8000 drives, the server (Solaris) is running Networker 6.0.1 Build 174. I can do inventory on all the tapes but as soon as I try to label the tapes the existing volume name is set to blank. The jukebox was set to use the same volume name as the barcode. Upon doing nsrjb -C , the barcode value is correct but the volume is blank.

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

PS: The jukebox was configured to use the same volume name as the barcode.

Thanks

hi

if u lable ur volume by default it will erase the contents.
and it will lable it in the pool u specify.

rgds
nan aix sys admin
nandkumarg@visto.com

We had that problem sometime ago and it corresponded to an upgraded to 5.5.2. We spent tons of time trying to figure it out. Issue was resolved by replacing hand and camera in our atk9710 juke box.

Thanks for the response.

1) Nan, The problem is that when I label the tape it sets it to value of blank instaed of the same name as the barcode. So when it comes to label the next tape it complains about duplicate name ( the name being a value of blank ).

2) Jim, While the idea of changing hardware looks tempting I am not sure that is the problem. When I load the jukebox with new tapes it is able to read the barcodes which would point to the camera working.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Mazeh

You mention that you can inventory the volumes and the barcodes are displayed correctly. Have you actually labeled the volumes yet? (nsrjb -L -S <slot #> -Y -b <pool> )

From your description it sounds like you've placed barcode labels on the tapes and inserted them into the jukebox and have inventoried the volumes. But the actual &quot;labeling&quot; operation has not been performed yet.

RedFoxFan,
The problem arises when I label the tapes, the existing label is wiped out and set to a blank value. This happens on all the different tapes I have tried to label. The other interesting thing is when I do a nsrjb -C after the label process, the barcode value has disappeared for that slot.

You might try running:

nsrjb -L -S <slot> -Y -b <your-pool> -v

-v specifies verbose. You should be able to monitor all the actions that nsrjb is performing on the tape or tapes.

I'm afraid I have never seen an apparently successful labeling operation not write an actual label to the tape.

If you try the above nsrjb command (with -v) feel free to post the output you receive here. -v is quite verbose and it should be fairly apparent what the issue is.

Can you supply an example of the output from nsrjb -C. Does it look anthing like this ?

slot volume pool barcode volume id recyle

1: PR0009(R) Production PR0009 2944173313 yes

2: PR0014(R) Production PR0014 2938312705 yes

3: PR0006 Production PR0006 3025977857

4: PR0078(R) Production PR0078 2946981377 yes

5: PR0004 Production PR0004 3053793281

6: PR0003 Production PR0003 3208554497

Also do you use the &quot;Default&quot; template when labelling?

Throwing in my two cents but are you sure the label is set to use barcode? It sounds like Legato is not using the barcode label as the internal label.(remember, what it _says_ is the label on the tape doesn't mean that is what the label of the tape _is_. ) So, if you have a completely new tape with no data it all, you may run in to a problem where the tape believes it to be <unlabeled> but once you do a label of the tape it picks up the external label of the tape. Another thing to try is do a fast Inventory of the slots. Again, I don't know if I have been any help.

Is your problem like the link below if a tape has been labeled &quot;blank&quot; already?

<
This was how I explained our very similar issue, last August. Unfortunately, the suggestions in same had no impact for us. Might work for you.

I was looking at old emails to find link above, we spent two weeks trying resolve issue. Then when the camera (barcode scanner) was replaced and reading the barcode correctly and not returning &quot;blank&quot;. The problem was gone. Might be worth a call to vendor for a check of camera. Alternatively, try a differnt tape device.

Thanks to everone who responded. The problem turned out to be a compatable issue on the size of the barcodes. Our existing barcodes had a height of .2 of a inch, unfotunately the Qualstar 6460 has a minimum size requirement of .4 of an inch. Once we put a test barcode it was able to read it and create a volume label to match the barcode.

Mazeh,

Where did you order your labels from? I am having a similar problem with EXB-210 camera not recognizing the label.

THanks for any input. Keep America Clean...
Eat a Pigeon.

This unit is based in our office in Oslo Norway and the local vendor is ordering the labels. Not sure where they are getting their supplies.

Mazeh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back