Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blank screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

lara19

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
PH
I was using my copm a few hoursn ago. Im using a P4 2.8C processor on an ECS PT800 CE motherboard with 1 G RAM with my old 128 mb NVidia MX 4000 video card, when suddenly the display disappears and my comp beeps (long beep that dont stop until i turned my comp off). I notices that my comp still running and the activity led is still blinking. I restarted my comp and my my turned on but theres seems to be no cpu and monitor connection. Is this a video card problem? I just want to be sure before i buy a new one. Thanks

I'm not sure on this one Lara, I'd checkout the PSU first. Do you have another PC you could switch parts with?

Try a bare bones boot, disconnect all but the CPU and one stick of RAM and start it; work upwards from there - if it works.

The PSU is ok coz the cpu turned on/ so that means theres power.I was running sisost sandra 2007 professional before it happened. sisoft sandra reports that i have to update the video card bios coz its 3 years old

There's a High pitched whine from the computer that never stops until i turned my comp off. I can see yhr led light blinking so that means theres an activity in my comp and the power is ok. so what hardware is causing this problem?

I'm not sure I'd put much faith in sisoft sandra in that respect.

Just because there's some power, it doesn't mean there's enough for the whole machine - lot's of PSU's degrade with age and use.

Strip it to bare CPU and RAM and listen for and note any beep combination. Then add the video card.

We cross-posted there.

Open the machine and check that the fans on the CPU cooler and video card spin freely. Brush out any dust that has accumulated in the heatsinks.

Disconnect all the Molex power connectors to the drives and the floppy power connector if you have one, try to start it - has the noise gone?

i've spink cleaned my comp last weekend. I noticed tho that my video card metal spikes (i dont know whats its called) that replaces the fan is off the hook so i put a rubber band on it. Nothing happened to my comp after doin it. just the blank screen and a whining/beeping sound from my comp

Ah, so the video heatsink is disconnected or not making the contact it should? That may well have caused the card to die - especially if you'd previously been running any tests with an app. like sandra - I guess the build-up of heat was too much for it.

So, you're using a laptop to get online, I guess - no way to test with another video card tonight then?

yeah im just using my laptop. ill post the result here coz i ordered a videocard online its nvidia geforce 6200 256mb 64bit. is this any good?

I use the 5200 PCI 128Mb version in my laptop docking station, it enables me to play FarCry on a five year old PIII laptop :). I guess the AGP or PCI Express versions of the 6200 would be a whole league better than this or your old MX card.

I hope you've ordered the correct type for your motherboard - I guess you have an AGP 'board?

thanks a lot for your time ill post the result here tommorow

i did it. i changed the video card and everythings ok now. i got a driver conflict but i easily resolved it. THanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back