Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank Screen on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickCat11

Technical User
Jul 23, 2005
US
Hello,

When I power on my computer the monitor kicks on and says the monitor is working, please check your connections. If I restart the computer if fires up normally and goes into Windows. I checked all connections and everything is hooked up properly. The computer is around 6 or 7 years old. Is this a sign of the motherboard starting to go? It usually happens when the computer is off for awhile. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Nick

Sometimes when I have monitor problems, I make sure the refresh rate is not set to high or low. Sometimes this means installing the correct monitor driver. Is it a new monitor or did it come with the older computer?

It's an old monitor as well. Probably around 5 years old. The computer doesn't have access to the internet either, so I ruled out any software issues. Thanks

Agree with the others. 5 years is getting towards a 'reasonable life' for a monitor but before saying goodbye :

Check the connecting cable to the PC and remove/replace the connector at each end a few times to clean the pins.

Open the PC case and make sure the Graphics card if you have one is firmly in the slot. Worth removing and replacing to clean connection (taking static precautions etc)

Monitors have been known to lose their marbles. Find the all reset in the monitor onscreen menu and do it. Un plug the monitor for a while then re set up.

Finally I had an old iiyama that could be persuaded to select an unused input on startup or fail to shut down (an emply socket in fact)by putting the back of the monitor near a cordless phone basestation so if you've just moved the leads or a WiFi router etc try experimenting with position of the monitor and the leads.

HTH

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. Probably going to end up with a new monitor or system. I told my dad Win98 is a little outdated to have as a work computer! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back