Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blank lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardHammerman

Instructor
Oct 11, 2001
US
I have developed a complex report for my client. It is grouped by employee number and then sorted by invoice number. In order to get the correct results, I need two sub-reports based on the invoice number. I created two additional detail sections. Detail a has only a "reset" formula in which I set the shared variables from the sub-reports to zero. They are all numeric. Detail b has the sub-reports. All sections in the sub-reports are suppressed.
The meet of my report is in Detail C (once per invoice) and Section Footer 1 (employee). I suppress Detail C when a critical shared variable is zero; that is when the sub-reports return no data.

The problem is, about 30% of the time the sub-reports return no data and the report has many blank lines even though I have set the section attributes to "underlay following section".

Is there a way to create a query in the main report based on the value returned from the sub-report?
Is there another way to get rid of the blank lines? I know that if I suppress Details A or Details B I get the wrong results.

The result are perfect, it just looks weird.

Thanks in advance.

Howard Hammerman,
Crystal Training and Crystal Material
On-site classes and one-on-one coaching
Low-cost telephone/email support

Could nulls be causing the problem? Do you check for isnull in the subreport formulas?

I found the answer elsewhere in the forum. I needed to "suppress blank sub-reports" in the "format sub-report" attribute of the two sub-reports.
Thanks to all.

Howard Hammerman,
Crystal Training and Crystal Material
On-site classes and one-on-one coaching
Low-cost telephone/email support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back