Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blank error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpetursson

Programmer
Jan 28, 2002
US
After I turn on the computer (AMD K6-2, 256MB RAM, Win 98se with all updates) it runs fine for a while. after about 1 to 1.5 hours an error message box pops up, but there is no text in it, only a close button.
I press the close button, and the box goes away, but now the computerr runs slower, and no longer connects to the internet, and window explorer won't move files (copy/cut and paste, or drag and drop), and "My Computer" won't open.

I've done a full virus scan with Norton 2002 (virus definitions upto date). Found nothing.
I've done a full scan with spybot (definition upto date) Found nothing.
I've checked though msconfig to shutdone stuff that I don't need.
I've run scan disk (in safe mode). No errors

It doesn't matter wether the computer is being used, or just sitting idle, this problem still happens.

After restarting the computer work fine again, for another 1 to 1.5 hours.

Help and suggestion most welcome!

Kevin Petursson

I would try doing an online virus scan using AVG or TendMicro. I have seen viruses hide on from virus scans before and the only way to find them was to do an online scan or take the drive out and put it in another computer to scan it. If that doesn't find anything you may just need to reinstall win98, it could just be a corrupt file.

After a fresh boot hit <ctrl><alt><del> and make note of the programs running. After the error comes up press <ctrl><alt><del> again and note any differences. That could narrow down the offending program.

Tim

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

DO you regularly defragment your HD? You could check if its ahevaily fragmented HD thats giving you trouble.Running a defragmenter may help you to speed up the system.

How do you check how fragmented the hard drive is?

I was running "teatimer" (part of Spybot S&D the watches for registry changes) I ran Adaware and removed the suspect files and such. Norton didn't find and viruses, neither did trendmicro.
AGV found a few suspect files (beeing cheep I didn't want to pay to remove them, so I did it manually.

After the spyware and virus scans and cleaning the error window still poped up, but this time it had text. It told me Teatimer cause a fault... so I turned off teatimer. Now I haven't noticed a problem for a while now.

Hopefully it's fixed. Thanks for you suggestions.

Kevin Petursson

To check your fragmentation levels Windows disk defragmenter
, go to Start>Accessories>System tools>disk defragmenter>choose the drive you want to check levels for and >Analyze. This will show you the fragmentation levels and prompt you if you need to defragment.Defragmentation using the built-in could be slow. Maybe you could download some third party tools and make it a regular practice.

kpetursson,
Check Internet Options,Setting,View Objects and look for any damaged and/or unknown objects and remove them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back