Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank Compressed Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi, I have a hard drive that had been compressed in the past and then formatted. There is no operating system on the machine now. Is there any way to remove the compression as it won't let me install windows. It keeps on telling me that a compressed volume or a disk cache utility had been detected. I have tried fdisking but fdisk doesn't see the compressed drive. When you fdisk it only see's 1.2 GB out of the 2.4GB it meant to have. Can any one help?

Thanks

Wes

I'd do a low level format. It may take a while, but its the simplest. Try searching The program I ended up using on my Quantum Bigfoot was a program called Zero Disk or Zdisk. Other than that, if you want to try to hope for a shortcut to work, try running fdisk /mbr. Maybe after that Fdisk will let you see your drive. Again, google is the god for miscellaneous tech solutions (other than this site that is ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back