Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank cd mounts as "Packet Media 1"

Status
Not open for further replies.

njxbean

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
Whenever i put a blank cd in the drive it mounts as "Packet Media 1." Now to give you the hisory behind this. There is an internal burner, but whenever went to burn, and a blank cd would be put in, it would not recognise it as blank. So, i figured the burner was not working, although it would still read cd's. So, i attached an external burner. Whenever i put a blank cd in, it mounts as "Packet Media 1." Toast is installed, but when i go to burn, it was media is not compatible with the device. These cd's will work with other burners int he office. Also, i tried 2 different brands of cd with this burner, and get the same problem. If i try to drag files to the cd as it mounts on the desktop, it says disk is locked. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only time I've ever seen "Packet Media 1" is as follows:

1. Inserted blank CD under OS9.
2. Burned CD and ejected.
3. At a later point, re-inserted burned CD to retrieve info.
4. A window came up asking to initialize the "unreadable disk"; the only option for formatting was "ProDOS (0 Kbytes)".
5. Took the CD to another machine, which put it on the Desktop as "Packet Media 1."

After ejecting the CD, we looked at the CD and it seemed to have started burning not at the immediate inside edge of the disc's readable area.

Don't know if this helps, but it's something.

==========
Thank you: adam ("desperatehours")
Full-time: Typesetting Procedure+Policy Manager, GCom2 Solutions, Aston PA
Freelance: Proprietor, Desperate Hours Productions, Willow Grove PA

nope these are indeed blank cd's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back