Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blade 2000 Dual CU-C cpu boot error

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBleeness

Technical User
May 22, 2004
US
Hello, Im in the midst of putting together a Blade 2000 w/ dual CUc CPU's. At power up, I get the following error..
get-cpu-i2c-config cpu0 fru pro

Ive tryed swapping the cpus between 0 & 1.. and also running single a single cpu. Im getting the same error regardless.

Im aware of the boot prom patches.. HOWEVER I cannot even get to the ok prompt to see what the current prom version is MUCH LESS UPGRADE IT.

Im at a totall loss.. and could use any help at all.

Thank You in advance!

was this ever running? Did you purchase the pieces separately or were they installed. What are the part#'s on the cpu's and what is the part# of the mother board(system board)?

These things can be a major pain.
Get a flash light and check the pins that the cpus seat onto. I have seen many systems with bent pins.

Thanks

Chris Adams

Purchased parts Seperatally...
Cpu Part #'s - 501-6750
Mother Board part # - 501-6230

Im also wondering if there is a jumper for using dual cpu's as are usually found in these sun boxes.

There is a jumper set on the cpu's 'j0902' do these need to be set for running a pair?

Ive looked at the pins for any bends and I dont see any.. they look in order.

Thank You

-Steve

Well I looked for compatability issues and found none. As you stated another possible issue is the OBP is not high enough to run the cpus(I am thinking this is the issue). If the system board is good and we can assume one of the modules is good, and the memory is good(If you have 8 simms try 4 at a time for shot in the dark) there is not much else to it. No magic in the hat type of thing.

If you have any 900mhz or 750mhz cpus available you could put one in and see if you can get video.

Thanks

Chris Adams

Ok.. sure is the OPB.. i have the patch burnt on a CD rom now.. and I cannot for the life of me get it on the machine now... at the ok prompt ive tried the 'flash-update-ucm' ciommand.. and nadda... where should i go from here.. I do have a 900 mhz cpu in her now taht is working fine.

- Steve Raas

Is the OS loaded on the system?

If not we need to load the OS before we can go any further.

Thanks

Chris A.

No OS on system.. is there NO WAY AT ALL to do this w/o installing the OS? If not I have Solaris 9. I have been reading tonnes of stuff on this.. I sure as heck thought I dident have to put the OS on. Well.. Keep me posted.. Ill install solaris 9 in morning ( i HOPE THAT GOES SMOOTHER ) LOL

-Steve

I never have been able to flash without an os. I made a post a couple weeks ago to see if it was possible to boot a flash off network server and got no responses. 10 years in the business and never heard of anything(wish I could find a solution also)

How are things going, were you able to install solaris?
Update the OBP?

CA

I ended up sending back the blade for OBP updates.. after that all went well.. thank you all for your input!

-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back