Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blacked out headers in Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mocua

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
CA
Using Win 98, IE 6.0 and Outlook Express. Quite often when new e-mail is downloaded to Outlook Express all the headers turn black so it's impossible to read anything (in the four lines). Simultaneously the Address Line in IE also goes black.
I've tried the `repair IE' option but it hasnt helped and when I run DRWATSON, it says nothing wrong has been observed and Norton hasn't detected any problems.
What might be causing this problem and how can I fix it?
Should I re-install Win 98?

I don't think that your problem is OS related. I do believe it is either IE/OE or AV.

I can't find a deliberate setting in either IE or OE to cause that, but to be on the safe side, please open IE and click TOOLS-INTERNET OPTIONS-ADVANCED-RESTORE DEFAULTS-APPLY-OK.

If that does not clear the problem, then I think that NAV is responsible with it's security settings. Perhaps you could go through them and check.

I use AVG or I would check them for you. Regards
Phil

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

On two occasions today when the blacked-out problem returned, I used Norton Utilities to `Find and Fix problems' and the following is what Norton came up up. Norton did fix it both times, but the problem just seems to keep coming back.
What is the interpretation of what Norton is telling me and how can I fix it?

The ActiveX/com section of your registry one or more invalid entries.
This can cause documents to open improperly, applications not run, or your computer to crash

Details
Missing or invanlid key: "com_arse-or-elbow_#_auto_file\shell\open\command"
The key, "com_arse-or-elbow_#_auto_file\shell\open\command," refers to an invalid command entry, C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\program % 1."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back