Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BlackDiamond problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedChili

Technical User
Jan 5, 2003
DE
Hi,

I have a problem with my new BlackDiamond unit. It is equippet with 2x MSM module, 6x 6port GBIC modules and 2x 4port GBIC modules. For example if I connect a client to Port 1 of Module 1 and a client to Port 1 of Module 8, the two units can not find eachother on the network. I already performed a factory reset like described for a sumit48 switch 3 threads below. Has anyone some idea how to solve this or what I do wrong? I already tried several things like putting both cards into one vlan etc. If I connect the two clients to the same module everything works fine.

Thanks for any answers
Felix

Are you using layer 3 switching or only layer 2?
What about VLAN?

Check that all ports that you want to talk to each other are on the same VLAN (if you use layer 2 switching)

/johnny

Start with layer1, I know it sounds stupid, but I have run into problems where you don't have a proper connection and you need to reverse the SC fiber cables on one side. Do you have a link on both ends, both the BD and the device that is patched into it? Are both ports on the same VLAN are both ports untagged or tagged, they must be the same. Are the IP's of both devices on the same subnet?

hope this helps

Extreme's Gig modules are notorious for not 'autonegotiating' properly. Even though there's no real auto-negotiation in Gig modules that's the command they use. It actually is affecting flow control. All you need to do is disable autonegotiation and set the port to auto off speed 1000 duplex full and that should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back