Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry Phone/PDA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoody54

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2002
US
I was wondering if anyone uses these to connect to Citrix, as my boss would rather tote one of these around instead of a laptop. We run an NT 4/Metaframe 1.8 system with NFuse. They seem like they would be compatible. We are looking at upgrading to Win 2003/TS in the future and are not sure if we are sticking with Citrix. It looks like they would be able to connect via RDP connections also. If I can get any feedback about any of this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Tom

As long as you are using the Serial cradle for it, it will work. You can not use the USB version of the cradle.

Justyn

Justyn Worrell
MCP, MCSE, MCT, CCA, CCEA, CCI
SCSA, CCSA, CCSE, CCNA, AANG-UP

That would be for in the office though...

It would work good with the citrix client for CE then? It would have the internet access and would connect through nfuse (if this is possible). His main goal is to eliminate taking his laptop with him to enter his time and check his email.

Thank you for the reply as I haven't had time to call them with specific questions or look into it any further than this post as I have been swamped lately. I appreciate it.

It will work through a terminal session as log as the terminal has a serial port that you can map. you may neet to map it via a script and then start the desktop manaager to do the sync'ing. That is what some of our people with terminals at home do.

Justyn

Justyn Worrell
MCP, MCSE, MCT, CCA, CCEA, CCI
SCSA, CCSA, CCSE, CCNA, AANG-UP

Hey Justyn-- Is there any documentation for mapping this / or setting this up??

Here's what we are trying to do:
XPs (farm of 7) FR 2 W2kSP3 <--- WTS

Users connect via ICA using Wyse Winterms (yes, they have a serial connection).
The biggest problem/issue I can't seem to do is- I would like my users to be able to sync their handheld with their session through the WinTerm. Basically, just sync their Outlook which they are runnig in Citrix. ***We are not using Exchange*** We use .pst files which are stored on a file server that they connect to.

IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?? HOW?? Please someone tell me!

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!!

Brandon

I think the two of you were on different wavelegnths... Justyn was talking about syncronizing email and Bran2235 was talking about connecting to the server with the device and administering it. Sorry Bran2235 the blackberry device is pretty much an email specific light PDA. Mine just so happens to be a Nextel phone also, but these devices will not currently give you a client connection to your servers.
You will need a Windows CE OS or maybe Palm OS to do that...

Hope that helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back