Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry Enterprise v3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

esquire8

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2004
CA
Hello,

Need some Advice,

We currently have appprox 700 blackberry users on our server

The users are spread out over two virtual servers.

We have had a few users complain about messages being delayed when sent to the handheld. Sometimes in the 20 minute time frame.

Could anyone recommend adding another Virtual Blackberry Server to distribute the users over another server to decrease the delay time of messages being sent.

Any other input would be appreciated to decrease delay time
for messages to be sent to the handhelds.

Thanks

Esquire8

Hi Esquire8, can you explain more on virtual servers..! i thought you can only have 1 BES per exchange. The max for each server is 400 users. Please enlighten me. But anyhow, me too I have the same problem of getting mails 20mins or even 5hrs. I 'd recommend the people stop using the delete mails on handheld wirelessly this will degrade the BES or you can delete on the BB unit normally but donot "RECONCILE NOW".

We also have this problem, with delays often ranging up to 6-10 houyrs. It seems to pick on a dozen or so users for a few days, then switches to another set. No apparent pattern. Last time our server engineers asked support about this, it was not a known problem. I'll pass the word about it affeting other sites, so we can harass RIM directly.

Steve

You can have up to four services ("virtual BES") per server. Each service can handle up to 255 MAPI sessions and each MAPI sessions can handle up to 2 MAPI threads so the maximum number of users per server is about 500. If you install all four services you can handle up to 2000 users per server. Please refer to the RIM document "Performance Characteristics" for further information.

If you want to track the delay times of mails and other objects, you should read-a-lot :) in the logfiles.

Sven

Gentlemen
We are having end users with dealy issues as well.
Somtimes as long as five hours. Our BES is located in the UK and we dont have access to it here in NJ anything we can do client side to improve service.

If two wrongs do make a right then how can to wrights make and airplane fly ?

We learned from RIM that our problems were due to communication delays between the BES and Exchange servers. Threads on the BES get tied up, and after a while there aren't enough threads working to carry all the traffic. That's what causes the delivery delays you see.

We're working with them to figure out the cause of these Exchange delays. Turn on debug logging for a couple of days, then study the logs. They should give you valuable clues.

Also, BES 4.0 is supposed to handle these pproblems much better.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back