Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry Enterprise Equivalents

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeym

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2004
US
Can anyone tell me if there are any equivalent applications similar to Blackberry enterprise server, but made by other vendors?

Thanks

Though I hate the RIM devices, I would not count them out so quickly. They have a huge fan base.

I do however question whether they have the capital to withstand a long legal battle should they be ordered to shut down based on the patent infringement case they are involved in. It really does not look good from them.

Disclaimer: The above is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I had a SCH-I730 from Verizon Wireless and found it very frustrating to have to pull-sync the contents of my Exchange mailbox. I was using a hosted exchange service at the time, but it did not work as expected and was very cumbersome to get working fully.

My blackberry service is not flawless either but much more timely in delivery methods and like you mentioned the push technology is what "most" executive users want.

This is the reason for RIM(Blackberry) and Goodlink's success.

I do hope that MS releases an excellent candidate for push technology, but I imagine that it will pale in comparison to Goodlink or RIM's technology as they may phase this technology into place over time (many years).

Just my two cents.

[pipe]

I suppose I should note that Microsoft does have an option today for syncing messages when they arrive. Only problem is that is requires sending SMS messages to notify the phone to sync. This can be costly if you have to pay for SMS messages.

I have used Server Active Sync for several years now at different companies and had no problems. I would suggest that ryoun1b's experience could be due to the hosted exchange environment and not the technology itself.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

Do you have a link for configuration with Active sync on Exchange 2003 server? Now that we are hosting our own Exchange server I would like to look at this again.

Thanks,

Richard
[pipe]

Also, you really need to make sure you have your security setup correctly in IIS. Here is my own cheat sheet that I use for ensuring consistent results.

Default Web site
Enable Anonymous access
Integrated Windows Authentication
Exadmin
Require SSL
Require 128 bit
Exchange
Basic Authentication
Default Domain \
Exchange-oma