Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry & ActiveSync (Exchange)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofusjtf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
Is it possible to use a Blackberry phone with Exchange 2k3 SP2 ActiveSync?

No, Blackberry remote devices are locked to using Blackberry servers and their mobile service.

So Blackberry device can use Activesync on the desktop but not with Exchange?

I guess I'll explore BES Express.

Nope. According to Blackberry there devices support Activesync (I'm not sure which ones). I have had some dialogue with their technical sales about BES and its different flavors; and public folders synchronization. I am looking to see if anyone has had success working with Activesync and a Blackberry.

Use an EAS device with ActiveSync and a BB with BES. Horses for courses - why would you want to use ActiveSync with a BB?

If I can use Activesync with a blackberry I don't need extra software to run on my server or another server if I use BES Enterprise. I know BES Express is free for the first user and $99 for each additional up to fifteen but why use extra software if the built-in Exchange features will work?

Blackberry can sync email with Exchange server using Outlook Web Access (OWA), if you get it correctly configured initially. There seems to be a configuration difference between an Enterprise Server Blackberry and a non-Enterprise Server (or Internet email) device that can only be done by the supplier.

As long as you have the internet email confuguration you just go through the normal email setup and specify your exchange OWA address, Blackberry does the rest. In effect a central Blackberry server polls your exchange OWA for new mail and then passes it on to your handheld.

Because OWA and Activesync are closely related this may be what you are hearing about as Exchange activesync.

Ian

Yes, the service provider needs to set the device for BIS not BES (dual BIS/BES is ok).

Interesting. I should note that my Blackberry contact misspoke and Blackberry does not support Activesync. Go figure a technical sales rep didn't know what he/she was talking about.

I'm interested in this BIS/BES Dual mode. The service provider (Verzion, Sprint, etc.) has to make this adjustment to the phone?

Yes. Your service provider would have to set this up. Just give them a call and tell them this is what you need and they should be able to do it within 5 minutes or less.

As for connecting to the Exchange Server. I had this same problem. I had 5 BB's and only 4 licenses and didn't want to purchase another license. If you log in to your device via your service providers BB web portal, you can set up a webmail account and tell it that it's an Exchange account and it will work. It won't be an instant transfer as soon as mail comes in but it's pretty quick. I don't think it's ever taken longer than 2-3 minutes for an email to hit the BB after it's come into the mail box. Some times it's just as fast as using BES.

My BES accounts get the emails on the BB at the same time as Exchange. If you've run out of licences, install the desktop manager to the PC then copy all entries in the GAL to Outlook and sync the contacts to the device.

Then in the ISP webmail, set up a standard yourname@verizon.com email with outbound email address yourname@yourdomain.com and then get AD to forward all email to yourname@verizon.com

Works nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back