Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Black Screen and cursor only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan62

Technical User
Apr 17, 2005
CA
HI.
I need your help to get rid of a nasty virus that is affecting my friend's laptop.

The laptop is running Vista home edition. When it boots all i have at the end is a black screen and a cursor only. Can't do anything, not even a CTRL-ALT-DELETE to access the task manager. Same thing with SAFE MODE. I have tried to boot with Hiren's boot CD, it boots well. i tryed to use some of the antivirus software that are included, none worked. I can't run HJT either.

I was able to see in the registry that i have this line of command in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon : cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe

I have changed it for explorer.exe. When i reboot no success it rewrite itself in the registry.

I have no option except backing up and reinstall. I don't want to do it right now if a solution can be found.

Any help from you would be greatly appreciated.

This is going to take some time to discern the log...

but from just glancing at it, I would say, that your NO BOOT issue, is probably caused by your AntiVirus software (AVG).

see:

System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)

once you have AVG disabled, according to the above instructions, and the PC boots again, download MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware then scan your PC...

I've also noticed that you have several files that are VERY VERY SUSPICIOUS, and if MBAM or SAS do not delete them with the scan, then use the MBAM tool FileASSASSIN (More Tools Tab) to delete the following:
C:\Windows\System32\????????????????????????????????????????????g

then ask yourself: DO I REALLY NEED ALL THOSE TOOLBARS THAT I HAVE INSTALLED???

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I also noticed that you have several drivers missing:
DRV - File not found [File_System | System] -- -- (StarOpen)
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand] -- C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\nwlnkfwd.sys -- (NwlnkFwd)
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand] -- C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\nwlnkflt.sys -- (NwlnkFlt)
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand] -- C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\ipinip.sys -- (IpInIp)
DRV - File not found [Kernel | Disabled] -- C:\Windows\System32\drivers\blbdrive.sys -- (blbdrive)

File.Net seems to indicate that these are necessary files.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

is this a chinese version of Vista? or do you have some chinese software installed?
i see some chinese characters showing up.

@ Adilux,

No chinese software. The laptop came with the OEM version of Vista provided by DELL.

Hi all, after too many hours of trying to fix the problem, i have decided to re install the OS. I did not found the source of the problem but it was related to user's permissions. At some point i was able to get into SAFE MODE, but not into normal boot. Thanks for your help.

That's what happened when I had this problem twice in Vista. It seems like this is yet another affliction that Vista gets and it is un-fixable at least by all means and suggestions I have seen.

Vista is the Windows ME of the NT-based branch of operating systems (black sheep).

@ goombawaho

Indeed VISTA is a crappy OS. All i can say from this experience, is i that i have learned a lot on different ways of fixing computers. Forum like this one is very helpful.

I didn't say Vista was especially crappy, but this particular problem has stumped me and others. When you start searching on the intrawebz, you'll see a lot incidences.

Well for now ,the laptop is running smooth and i hope it will stay as is for a long time.

Dan, Goombawaho
It sounds like you to are over half way to becoming penguine supporters :)

Seperate human readable config files for all services
if something breaks you have much more thatn just a fighting chance of fixing it.
the windows registry aproach is just asking for trouble.

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

Dan,
i've also had bad experiences and have hard time networking computers with Vista.
why not upgrade to a version of Windows 7 home?
Microsoft has links where you can purchase an electronic copy for a fairly cheap price

do a search on google for "purchase windows 7 for 30"

@adilux
You have to be a US or UK college student to qualify for the $30 Windows 7. Also, you really should have Professional or above to have trouble free networking.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

you really should have Professional or above to have trouble free networking.

Only if you want to run a server, My windows 7 Home Premium Laptop can see the other 3 machines on my P2P network no problem.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

This thread is spinning out of control.

Yeah - I don't agree with that either (needing 7 Pro for good networking). Vista is OK, but that black screen is one thing that seems to UNIQUELY plague it.

Hi All,
Wow!! i did'nt mean to start a battle between OS by saying that Vista is crappy. I'm a Windows user since i got my first PC. I 'have use all versions of Windows from 3.1 to 7. To me Vista is like ME, not the best ones. Thank you for sharing your opinions. Case closed now.

And I quite (myself):
"Vista is the Windows ME of the NT-based branch of operating systems (black sheep)."

I'll trade you a ME license for an Vista license. Any takers? Kind of puts it in perspective from the bad old days of 95/98/ME

And so: 7 > XP > Windows 2000 > Vista > NT > 98 > ME > 95 > 3.1

Or something like that in ranking.

ME is the Medical term for 'Yuppie Flue.'
Need I say more?

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back