Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

black screen after windows xp logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig1104

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
US
I upgraded to xp service pack 2 on compaq ws8000. it has dual zeon 2.4 processors and 1.5 gig of ram and 1Tb of space. After the upgrade, the bios loads and the black windows xp logo with the blue bar. when that is finished a black screen comes up and stays there for 7 to 10 mins. the the wallpaper comes up for 10 to 15mins and then the icons. the only thing i saw on the event view is MMC.exe is hanging. I ghosted an image to the drive with no luck, changed drives, removed some memory and changed video cards. Nothing worked. I am wondering if it could be the power supply. anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think this is the issue. I re-imaged the c drive with a bkup image to xp sp1. So sp2 is not on the new image. I am suspecting the powersupply. What do you think. This pc is only 2.5 yrs old and it has dual xeon p4 processors.

Yes that might be a possibility... can you boot into Safety Mode? if this also fails... then mostlikely one of the drivers hickups or is corrupted... then you need to try a Reinstall... or even try the above, bcastners post, just to be sure...

Had the same prob, with SP2 after a reinstall, and ended up doing a clean install in the end...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Hi there,

just experienced the darn thing once again...

found out that my PCI IDE card (Promise Ultra 133tx) may have a problem or the drive attached...

as I was going to scan the drives, using a boot CD, it turned out that the Drive wasn't being recognized (from BIOS info it was) but from the DFT (IBM Drive Fitness Test) told me... so unplugging everything, rejumpering the drive, wiggling a cable here and there, voila, it booted again...

may be the same in your system, that either you have an IDE PCI card installed, or a drive is going out on you...

hope this helps...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

That was it. the promise card...took it out and the pc runs great. lets see what happens when I put it back in.

THanks guys for the help. This was driving me crazy. again! thanks a lot.
craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back