Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Black Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim2002

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2002
US
We are a retail company and have to be careful on what we look for in our spam filter, but have no contacts outside the US

I have heard that most spam comes from foreign countries

So I am looking for a Black List that is aggressive against over seas domains but not here in the US.

I am using Symantec mail security, it seems to work fine but because we have to limit what we filter for, we get a lot of spam. I think a real time blocking of foreign spam would help a lot

Thanks in advance

Tim

I have heard that most spam comes from foreign countries

You either heard wrong, or where you heard it are wrong.

The US is still the number ONE in spamming!
Others are china, russia etc.
So, if you are going to block all 'foreign' countries... you are going to get alot of spam!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

I read some where that about
From the US 42%
South Korea 16%
China 12%
Brazil 6%
Canada 3%
Japan 3%
Germany, France, Spain and others make up the rest.

I was thinking that a 48% reduction in my spam would be nice.

But this doesnt really apply my question!

If i could do math it would be a 58%

Now what would you want to filter on then? Country parts?
.com is US, .co.uk is UK, .FR is France and so on, but most spam comes from .com domains, even non-US based, so you really have no way of knowing that.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

I guess no one but you Marc, is reading this

I was hoping that a real time black list that already existed, that is aggressive against foreign spammers. Not to create a filter.

A lot of people are reading this, make no mistake.
Either they agree with my statement, or have nothing to offer or add.
There are blacklists of course, loads of them, but not by
country as spam simply does NOT work that way.
I have a .com adress too, but am not from the US, so if I spam you, you would let me.... that is not really what you want!

As for your previous list of dropping 48% by eliminating those countries, it would be (sorry) plain stupid to let the 42% US spam through, would it not?
If you stop them all, as you detect them already, that would stop 90%, which sounds a lot better to me.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back