Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Black and White Graphics in Acrobat

Status
Not open for further replies.

helfen

Instructor
Dec 26, 2000
CA
I have two questions relating to graphics in FM 6.

(1) I have a project where I'm converting an existing Word doc into FM. BTW, if you ever need to do this the best nethod I have found so far is to:
1. Create the blank file in FM and set up the paragraph catalog.
2. Import the doc into FM, but make sure you have the import set to "Copy Into Document," otherwise the doc will get ported as one, giant uneditable image.
The text comes in wonderfully, but the graphics are a bit messy, which is no problem, because I'm deleting them and importing each one separately as a bitmap. The problem is really in Acrobat Distiller or my PostScript printer settings because the graphics look great in FM, but come out in black and white in Acrobat. I found this doc on the Adobe support site that talks about changing my Distiller settings to ADSC and Pure Binary, but that made no difference. Any ideas? And speaking of graphics...

(2) When importing a screen capture I find that 96dpi gives good image quality; however, if I try to shrink the image it gets distorted. Even though the image is not vector-based there must be some way thatI can shrink it neatly without suffering image loss.

Thanks

This may be as simple as checking your printer settings and making sure it is set on "color" not "grayscale".

Try that

Hi, I have a related question for you. I'm working in structured frame (7.1), and have been unable to import Word docs as anything but an uneditable object. I'm a new Frame user, so bear with me, but so far as I could see, the option to 'copy into document' isn't offered anytime during the import process. I was, however, able to simply open the word doc in frame, without that problem. Perhaps that's an improvement over previous versions?
My challenge now is that there is no structure showing for this doc. Do I have to build that in? Can I import it from another doc? I tried to do that unsuccessfully from another doc created in frame.
Thanks,
Henry

For screen captures, this doc is a good guide:

screen captures

As for importing a word doc into structured Frame, I'm afraid you are out of luck. Your best bet would be to import as text and tag the document from scratch.

If sunflower oil comes from sunflowers, and vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from?

In reply to helfen's 2nd question on importing graphics.

Draw a rectangle in a frame to the size you want your picture to be. Use the Width Height ratio of 4x3 (800x600) to make it easier. Place it in the Reference page for re-use or use the Auto-text utility.

When you import your images, select the Fit to rectangle option. The images will be the size of the rectangle which gets replaced in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back