Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bkup exec 8.6 keeps on putting the tape drive offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

dohc97

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
US
It is running on a Win 2000 platform. It happens at least once a month. We usually can resolve this by shutting down the server and bringing it back online. I am managing this server over the wire. I am in DC while the server is in LA. This is the only server amongst the several servers I manage that is doing this.

I suspect that the tape drive is being power cycled or the comm cable is faulty between the server and the drive. A reboot reinitializes this com link and that's why that works.

Look into those aspects.
Tony

I used to have the same problem on my old servers. What i did notice though, is that it only happened if i opened backup exec and services were stopped.

Are you by chances stopping the services for any reason?

I do not stop/start the services. Our tech in the LA office rebooted the server 2 days ago and the drive is online again.

It is now happenning again. The drive is getting offline. I closed BE, stop all BE services and restart the services. I open up BE again and I was able to put the drive online. But, when I restart the job, it is getting queued and does not start at all.

Heya dohc97

After you get the drive online and restart the Job, Can you at least run an Inventory? Or does that not respond either?

P

I also have tried doing an inventory, but it just put the inventory job in queue.

I just noticed that when I go to device manager, it doesn't show a tape drive in there.

And what about Veritas? Have you contacted them? If so, what did they suggest? (Just to see what they're thinking :)

I also think tony may be onto something ... Have you tried changing the cables? Or SCSI controller?

In the device manager ... Have you tried scanning for hardware changes? It pretty much redetects devices and configuration.
Once Done ... What happens?

I have just been looking at veritas' support site and I think I narrowed it down to a scsi issue. In event viewer, it was showing an event id of 9 which tells me of a scsi problem. This is an ongoing problem with this particular server. The drive has been replaced multiple times as well as the scsi card itself.

just noticed that when I go to device manager, it doesn't show a tape drive in there

Yes the Event IDs are hardware or SCSI problem.
If you dont see it in Device manager then BE wont see it.
Probably a termination or cables.

Gr8 :)
Looks like you narrowing it down.
Lets us know what happens ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back