Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bizarre Scanner Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewistopher

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
US
Okay, folks. I have my A+ and Net+ but I am always learning new stuff. I have been building computers a couple of years now, and built a home computer for a friend; I put in the ECS L7S7A-A (Sis 745) motherboard with the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 256 MB of DDR, and a 30 GB Maxtor HD. I know, it's sort of a "bargain" system, but it runs nice and clean with WinXP Home. My friend went out and bought a Visioneer OneTouch 8920 scanner. We hooked it all up, and it worked fine till we rebooted. Upon rebooting, I started getting a "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered an error and shut down" error once I get to desktop and then anytime I start a program, open Explorer or My Computer, etc. I can solve the problem by unplugging the USB cable that connects the scanner to the box; I can also solve the problem by booting the computer with the scanner turned off; but, if the scanner's on when I boot up the computer, I am going to get these errors. I have flashed the BIOS, I have pulled down the latest drivers from Visioneer, etc. No changes. So...I took the scanner home and plugged it into my K7S5A mobo with Athlon 1.3 Tbird, 256 MB of DDR, and WinXP Pro. The thing works fine, no error messages or anything, no powering down when I reboot, etc.

Took it into my office and plugged it into my Biostar M7VIP with Athlon XP 2400+ and 512 MB of DDR333 running Win2k. No problems here. Took my office scanner, a Canon D660U and plugged into my friend's computer, loaded up the drivers, and it works flawlessly. Any idea what could be going on?

By the way, MS's KB had a tidbit on a potential problem with polling the buttons on the scanner; and I went into the registry and adjusted some keys...this made no difference either. I am at a loss!

USB conflict...I've heard of this hapening sometimes with USB devices. I would try to use a USB hub. It has worked for me when a USB device (printer) gives me errors...all I did was plug them into a USB hub and the problem was history.

Just a suggestion.

Ken

===================================
Rebooting your computer does NOT
mean kicking it for a second time!!
===================================

Lewis,
You need to do a virus scan for the Blaster virus.

I built the computer after blaster came out, and I ran all the security updates from MS - so it's patched. Also, I'm running Trend Micro's PC PCCillin on that box, and it is up to date.

Last I recall, there are about 5 different flavors of Blaster. The error that you are getting is typical of this virus though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back