Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bizarre issue with PDF forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjt20one

Technical User
Oct 31, 2008
US
We have a PDF form that we use as a template on our file server that suddenly cannot be edited. When trying to save a new PDF file from the template - "File cannot be saved, bad file handle". So I open this PDF form, fill it out, try Save As and get that error message.

Perhaps even stranger is that if I move said template to a different folder on the server than the one it's currently in and try to open it I get "The file cannot be found" and it disappears from the folder.

If the PDF template is moved from the server to the desktop it can be opened/edited/saved just fine.

No other documents on the server have this issue, PDF or otherwise. We have hundreds of forms on the server made from this template and now we cannot move any of them or edit any of them. This is causing a major headache at the moment. I Googled the error messages and found no solutions and very little information. Any ideas?

If you move the template to the desktop, open/save then move back to the server, does the error still exist?

If you move one of the documents that was created from the template to the desktop, are you able to edit it as well? If so, try saving it on the desktop, then move back to the server to see if the problem persists.

Though this isn't a solution, hopefully it can help in narrowing down where the problem exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back