Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bizarre Connectivity Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcintoshs

MIS
Oct 27, 2010
US
I have a bizarre network connectivity issue.

There is a server on our network with IP address 10.0.1.23 which is in the default VLAN 10.0.0.0/16 on HP 5406zl core switch. All servers on that VLAN can ping that system successfully and reliably with no dropped packets on a lengthy persistent ping.

Systems on another VLAN 10.6.0.0/23 cannot reliably ping that server with IP of 10.0.1.23. If one were to do a persistent ping, you would find ping dropouts lasting 15-30 minutes. However, they can successfully ping every other system in 10.0.0.0/16 reliably without dropping any packets at all.

A tracert during periods of packet loss shows that pings from 10.6.0.0/23 are reaching the VLAN gateway on the core switch but then getting dropped. What could be causing this?

Welcome to tek-tips!

That is indeed a strange problem. There are four things that I can think of off hand that could cause that type of problem: 1 - the machine is disconnected or turned off during the periods of down time (assuming that it isn't ping-able from another host at that same time), 2 - deliberate blocking of the pinging host via a firewall, 3 - a networking problem such as an intermittent failure in a switch or a bad cable or connection, 4 - software (or hardware) development activities that have networking or ICMP messaging turned off temporarily.

I would first see if it is simultaneously visible to other machines and if it is, try swapping some of the switch gear and cables to rule out a hardware problem.

Seeing that it is a server, I would also look for any sort of mal-ware that could be intentionally blocking responses as well as check it for a throughput overload condition.

Interestingly, I have started having a very similar issue since 24 hours ago on a VRRP pair of Procurve 5400s.
I have K_14_63 on mine, and you?

Thanks for the responses. I'm running K_14_60 on the 5406zl's.
Norway2: none of the 4 scenarios explain this because the server is never powered down and can be pinged persistently without drops by any server in its own subnet.

I recently updated my firmware from K_14_47 - did you update yours recently?

With mine, there are a number of servers on a special subnet and I can ping some of them from the workstation subnet but not others, even though they are all up.
From the 5400 itself (which does the routing), I can ping them all.
I would normally be inclined to blame the servers, myself, so I might insist they show me the servers' IP config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back