Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bitmap conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadroeder

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
Hello all...

In Corel Draw, when I remove portions of a bitmap (ie. slicing or erasing a part of the image for use in say, a web page or flyer) and then use the "bitmap editor" (ie Photo Paint or Trace) the image that comes up in the editor is the original, unsliced/erased version, and not the image I spent so much time on. This is disturbing, as it leads me to believe that Draw "remembers" the entire, original bitmap, hiding it somewhere in the file...secreting it away for God knows what purpose...does anybody understand my problem? Any help would be most appreciated.

Stymied in Wabash

Explain a little more how you are slicing and erasing part of the image? Which version?

If you are altering the "container" shape of the bitmap, the bitmap will still be i-tact. If you are actually altering the bitmap, those effects should take place regardless which tool or platform you are using.

Corel does remember the original bitmap until it is re-saved as a bitmap in it's own right. After you have edited the shape of the bitmap in Corel, (I guess you are just dragging in the nodes of the image frame)you need to right click and crop the image or (under the bitmap menu heading) 'convert to bitmap'. Then you should get a faithful copy in the image editor when you double click on it.

Well, I'm using Draw version 11...more specifically...say I have a JPEG of a rabbit sitting on a horse's back, and I only want the rabbit, I'll use the eraser tool to cut out the rabbit, then "break bitmap apart" and delete the horse and everything else. Then, when I open Photo Paint to spray paint the rabbit's eyes, the original bitmap appears, horse and all...even after saving the image under a different name. I'm still a bit(map) confused. Any suggestions? Thanks

Okay...I took the advice of attrofy and converted the JPEG to a bitmap in DRAW, and this took care of my problem...one other question, though--If I don't convert the images to bitmap and just leave them as as is after erasing part of the image, will this affect file size when I go to print? I ask because I produced a flyer with some products on it, all involving the above mentioned technique of selectively erasing, but never converted theses images to bitmaps...what should have been a relatively small (in terms of megabytes) single-sheet flyer was being read by the printer as a whopping 90 MB file! Perhaps this is the reason? Thanks again

Drawist kind of touched on the point to where I was going with this, and in-part answers your question. If you have multiple pictures you are editing, then you still have all of the rest of the rabbit, the horse and the background for that one jpeg - even if it is not displaying. Now if you do that with 3 other bitmaps, the file will start to become quite unweildy.

Also, depending on the size of the individual components (each of the bitmaps involved) if each one has high resolution, each one will have a large file size associated with it. THe higher the resolution (usually for print purposes at least 300 dpi and higher) the bigger the whole file.

Is this going off to be proffesionally printed? You can optimize the images before sending, as well as trying Drawists suggestion of converting to bitmap.

Yes, Drawist's help was valuable...I forgot to mention their name in my follow-up(I get confused)...but I just converted the entire layout to bitmap, and the thing printed no problem. Thanks to you both for this help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back