Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Biostar M6TLA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzieb

ISP
Mar 14, 2003
US
I have an old computer, I know but I am just trying to get my daughter through one more year of school.
I can not get the onboard usb ports to work. They use to work, I think. I was told I probably need the motherboard drivers, but I have been unable to locate them. I think it may be a discontinued board.
It is a biostar, M6TLA, with intel chipset i440LX, 300 mhz, deschutes A80523
Chipset says 82440LX

I hope someone can tell me how to get the usb to work. Thanks in advance. Everyone is always so helpful.

Suzie

Hi Suzie.

We will all go to Biostar website and try and find the correct motherboard drivers for your usb to work.

But, in the end, if we cant help you then all you have to do is go buy a pci usb card. They run from $10 to $30, depends on how many ports and if its usb2 or usb1. You may be able to live with usb1 anyway if its an older pc running win98. However, usb2 would be a better buy as you can then use it in a new computer when you get one and usb2 also runs any usb1 harware anyway. They are very easy to install.
But, again, we will likely find the drivers for you.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

This page shows the drivers by chipset and you have the intel chipset, so it would likely be the second one listed under Intel. And its likely the same one i listed above.

I dont quite remember but it could be that if you are running win 98se then maybe even a service pack upgrade might re-enable your usb.

Can you go to device mgr and tell us if there are any yellow or red marks there? Might help us help you solve the problem.

suzieb
Is this simply a case of the USB ports need enabling in the bios?
It could be that your lithium button battery is getting low and your bios reset itself but then by default USB should be enabled.
A USB to PCI card would be a cheap fix.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks garebo,

I had been to Biostar but could not find the drivers. The only one I found was for winXP. I have downloaded the one you pointed me to and I believe it is working. I have some more work to do on the computer but so far looks like the USB are again working.
I forgot to check out the device mgr before installing the drivers. However, I just checked there now and nothing is marked.

Thanks again. I knew someone on these forums would help.

Suzie

You're very welcome! Glad i could help. Actually i found it all a bit confusing myself so i am glad all worked out well. But i think the intel inf is likely what you downloaded and installed and helped you out?
Anyway, glad you are all set!
Bit of advice. If you have a burner maybe assemble all the drivers, etc, etc, whatever you need for your pc and whatever you have on hand and burn all to a cdrom. That way you may have what you need if there is a problem in the future.

I will burn those drivers. I had actually already thought of that but thanks again.

Suzie

If you are going to do that then there is a program called my drivers, you can google it, i think current version is 3. Its a great program as it will check your hard drive for all the drivers you are using, something we cannot do for ourselves, at least that i know of. Anyway, if you did get that program you could run it and add that to your cdrom, along with any other info, etc, that you may find handy, and put it all on one. Just a suggestion, of course.
Thats what i have for my pc, havent had to use it yet, lol.
Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back