Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boats1

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
Does anyone know the key sequence necesarry to access the system settings (BIOS) for a Toshiba Tecra 8100.

This far I have two responses (F1 and esc of which neither work).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I have tried several times to download the file but I keep geting a winzip file from Toshiba ?

In any event, could I ask that you please post the information that I need so that I can access the info that I need.

Thanks for your help

To acess TSETUP on the Tecra 8100- There are two ways.
Turn off the PC/ hold down the ESC key and turn. When it comes up hit F1 and you will get into Setup.

The next way is to come up in safe mode. (Hold F8 when Booting) then select safe mode.
Go to start/run and type TSETUP and enter.
Good luck.

ItsyBitsy, you were correct, the ESC - F1 combination worked.

My notebook has XP on it and I'm trying to overwrite it with a different operating system (win98).

I purchased my computer at a yard sale about seven ago and was unaware that the computer has an administrative password within windows. I have been trying to install Win98 for sometime but have been unable to do so (because I dont have the admin PW). I was hoping that by changing the boot sequence to CD 1st, I would boot up to the win98 CD rom and overwrite the existing Operating system (XP) but it doesnt work. Each time I boot the computer w/ the CD Rom as the 1st boot device, the system continues to boot into XP as if the CDrom isnt being read.

any sugestions ?

have you tried erasing the primary hard driver by booting it from a floppy?

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
- Jeff Raskin [morning]

YBNormal is correct. Boot the computer to the floppy and do an fdisk to remove the partitions then recreate a fat32 partition and format. you will not have any operating system on the machine to complain at that time.

I dont have a floppy drive, only a HDD and a CDRom (both internal)

i can see how that might be a problem. have you tried disabling the hard drive as a boot device under boot device priority. just keep only one boot device and that is the cd rom.
if it still causes a problem try creating a boot up cd from a friends computer. along with the bootup files copy the following files to the cd:
Format.exe
FDisk.exe
Debug.exe
You can use this Debug script in Dos to erase the hard drive completely. This script will erase evrything in the hard drive including the partition.
Here is the script:

NOTICE: Performing the following will remove all data from your hard disk drive.

Type the bolded text only (the debug prompt is a dash). You will receive an error if you type anything other than the bold text. The non-bolded text represents the system response that will appear after typing each command and press the <Enter> key.

C:\>debug
-F 200 L1000 0
-A CS:100

xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301
xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200
xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1
xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80

NOTE: Type 80 for the Main hard drive - HD 0, or type 81 for the Second hard drive - HD 1

xxxx:010C INT 13
xxxx:010E INT 20
xxxx:0110 (Leave this line blank and press the <Enter> key)
-G

The message, Program terminated normally, appears.

Press the power button to turn off the computer.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
- Jeff Raskin [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back