Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bios wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

green250

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2003
CA
mobo is a gigabyte 6bxc did bios flash with @bios and now it wont boot, no video signal nothing, what can a guy do other than replace mobo to get it back to original state?

Sounds like its time for a new mobo to me. Unless you can get hold of a BIOS chip for your mobo & replace it.

ok when I get home today I will post it

no it wont boot to a floppy either

does anyone have a slot 1 motherboard they want to sell?

i have a gateway solo 2550,
the bios doesn't seem to boot, i turn on the pc, the light goes on, i see the floppy, cd and battery signs, and the cd and flopy try to boot, but nothing seems to happen, no screen either. The fan is running, and the hd is spinning. Whats this mean, and is there a way to fix it?

Would be better with a new thread to keep from crossing messages.
Are you seeing the signs of the battery on the video?
Do you have an emergency boot disk?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

no video, the signs on the little digital display under the monitor, like a calculator screen. no boot disk, though i know its win 98 2nd ed, and i found a win 98 boot disk, i put it in and it seems to load, but still i see nothing, and the computer still doesn't boot

I the floppy seems to be loading but nothing is on the screen, check that the power lead is plugged inn correctly, make sure that the brightness & contrast are turned up. If you still get nothing from the monitor & everything is connected properly, see is you can borrow another monitor & try that. If that works your monitor needs replacing. If not then try another graphics card.

Disconnect everything and leave it that way ( including power/keyboard/mouse/display/speakers/usb/etc).....
Open the case and Change the BIOS Flash Recovery jumper to the recovery mode position........
Put the Bootable BIOS upgrade disk you previously made into the floppy drive A:....
Now...
Plug in the power supply only and boot up....when the floppy light is on and the system beeps, the system is copying the BIOS recovery code into the flash device..
Be sure and wait until all activity is fully stopped(usually 2 beeps and no more floppy LED, though there may be pauses in between)..
Now.... Power OFF the system and change the jumper back to the default position...
Now....Hook up Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor so when you power back ON, you can see if it worked....You should leave the floppy in the drive to make sure the correct BIOS version was installed....
Now if it worked you can close the case and off you go!!
You can go into BIOS now and make any setup changes specific to your system that you may need...
Always Power OFF before hooking up anything...

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Green250...
My last post is intended for you....

Beep13
Sounds like your OS won't load/startup/boot....not your BIOS...so start a new thread

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

I am having a similar problem with my system not booting up at all. I had a Transcend motherboard and decided to upgrade to a Gigabyte GA-7VT600(-L) Socket A. I have an AMD Athlon XP 1.53 Ghz processor, a GeForce2 video card and 40 gig Western digital HD.

Here is the problem: When I connect the peripherals and turn the power on, I get no BIOS beep, but there is power going to the CD drives, etc. The HD does not appear to be spinning, either. All cards appear to be seated, etc. The motherboard is not touching any metal, so I have ruled out a short...what could be the problem?

PLEASE HELP! $80 for a new MB and my system is down until I can get it fixed.

Outlan, A new thread may have been best.
Have you made sure that any jumpers on the motherboard are set correctly for you CPU? Make sure that the memory modules are seated correctly & of the right type for your board. If you have two mem modules remove one & swap if system doesn't boot, to make sure that the modules aren't faulty.
Is you PSU upto the job? Try another one if you can.
Reduce the system to basics. Memory, CPU, Graphics card & floppy drive. to so if you can get past post. if you can start inserting extra componants until it packs up.

Along the lines of kestrel1 's post;

Install CPU,HS,plug in HSF to mobo,install mobo into case, hook up case spkr, power switch, HDD LED,Reset button, etc..

Install PSU,hook ATX/12v connectors to mobo,chassis fan,....Hook up power to wall and get beeps (no RAM installed yet),make sure chassis fan and HS fan are spinning....hold down ATX PSU 4 secs to power off..unplug power from wall or from back of PSU......

Install RAM....plug into wall....power on....and now, diff beeps(no Video Card, yet RAM is "functioning")..power off...Unplug...

Install Video card.....Hook up Monitor....plug in wall....Power on....Usually hear 1 beep for successful POST....read screen for recognition of CPU speed,RAM size,Display Controller(Video Card)....error message comes(disk boot failure, no fixed disk installed)...power off.....unplug...
unhook monitor....

Install all HDD,DVD,Floppy,CD, etc...make sure use 80 conductor HDD cable, set Drive's jumpers to cable select(usually), blue connector to mobo, black end to drive,(gray in middle for slave).....hook up monitor and keyboard...plug in wall....power on monitor first, then System.....
error message comes(disk boot failure, No OS installed, Disk not formatted)

hit Reset button or CTRL+ALT+DEL....upon reboot hit pause screen..look for recognition of CPU speed, correct RAM size installed, Video Adapter, Primary and Secondary Masters,etc......hit any key to finish POST.....

hit reset and Enter BIOS Setup(del,F1,F2, whatever)make settings appropriate...Set all IDE to AutoDetect..check that UDMA is correct mode, make sure info matches the earlier screens....check Level 1,2 cache, Enable ECC if CPU does it, correct voltage to CPU....Power button settings....Video card AGP..Boot Order(CDROM, HDD, floppy, etc)...enable PnP....Disable Boot Sector AV protection.
Check Chipset SPD Rom ,CAS settings, etc....
Exit BIOS saving changes.....reboot

Put OS CD in drive.....Run OEM CDROM if you have it..no need for floppy...If no OEM, use Startup floppy w/CDROM
support...

Partition HDD....
1)Format HDD
2)Load OS
3)Load mobo chipset drivers
4)Install video card drivers
5)Add All other peripherals and drivers(one by one)

Enable Cmos AV protection again if available....

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back