Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS.VXD

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbicfc

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
Hi,

Recently I upgrade the BIOS on a AOpen M7VKD motherboard, the update went fine but when I tried to restart the computer XP pro decided it didn't like having a new BIOS and just gave me the message that the BIOS.VXD was incorrect, re-installation of XP sorted the problem.

Now the question is, on older BIOS systems that require the update to be carried out in DOS will XP pro always give this problem or is there a way around it.

thanks in advance

fbicfc
System Administrator

Just checked and there's no such file on my install of XP Pro...perhaps the flash routine is what put it there.
Common sense would tell me that there's limited use for *.vxd files in XP...and I know for a fact there are very few on the machine at all.

Couple of things come to mind:
1) Shutdown problems in Win98 are often fixed by renaming the file (when present) to bios.old
2) There's a BIOS setting for caching to the hard drive in some setups.
Perhaps the workaround is to turn that off, reboot and do the flash. Then turn it back on.

Perhaps one of these will save you reinstalling...hope so.

I already did a couple of BIOS update when running Xp Pro and no such problem... it was on Giga-byte m/b I think...

So it seems to be a specific problem...

Thanks for the response, thought it might be a localised problem with this specific installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back