Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbholt73

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
US
I have found a BIOS Upgrade for my computer, but it shows only how to upgrade my BIOS with Windows XP or Windows ME. How do I upgrade my BIOS using Windows 2000 Prof.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Unless you are having a problem with your computer you don't need to upgrade your bios. Take a look at the reasons they put the upgrade out and if they don't apply to you leave well enough alone. Most bios upgrades are done from a dos boot disk.

[pc3]

BACK UP YOUR FILES FIRST (Don't you get tired of that caution.)

The following is the warning that AMIBIOS sends with its Flash BIOS:

WARNING: Flash upgrading your BVIOS can render you(sic) system inoperative...

Following AMIBIOS' instructions I "flashed" by BIOS as follows:

(Ensure that your CMOS is set to Boot Sequence to boot from A:.)

1. Shut down computer.
2. Insert floppy in A:.
3. Reboot system
4. DO NOT REST OR TURN OFF COMPUTER DURING FLASH PROCESS OR YOUR BIOS MAY BE DAMAGED.
4. If Flash disk has on screen instructions, follow them.
5. If system stops responding, you may need to reset the system. However, before that, try to contact your BIOS on-line support for help. Hopefully, your system will not lock on you.
6. When the Flash has finished, QUIT the program or RESTART if so prompted. IMPORTANT: remove the flash disk before resetting/restarting the system.

Further, There are varying opinions on this, however, some, including me, think that a Flash BIOS is best done on a "clean machine." I fdisked and reformatted before I flashed mine.

Lastly. Some of the software (newer) I have state that the BIOS should be upgraded for Win2K, if the system is older.

Good flashing

[pc3]

I shouild add:

FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

Even though I don't personally think it's all that big of a deal, if one is careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back