Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS Upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimg

MIS
Sep 15, 1999
US
I recently upgraded my brother's P120 bios. In so doing, the system does not recognize the A drive. How can I recover?

JimG [sig][/sig]

Can you get into the Bios/Cmos setup for the computer. Some Bios' may default to disabling the floppy drive or at least booting from the floppy.
[sig]<p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Yes I can get into the cmos and the drive is installed. Windows does not recognize it though. Any other ideas?
Jim G [sig][/sig]

did you change the bios(an actual bios chip upgrade?) while windows was still on the HDD or did you do a fresh install of windows afterward, check Control Panel->System->Device Manager, and look down the list and see if anything shows as a Red Circle with a X in it, or as a yellow circle with a ! in it. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

I did not install windows after upgrading the bios. The device manager shows the yellow circle with ! for the std. floppy disk controller.

When I downloaded the bios upgrade, I stored it on the HDD but also put in on a floppy for the upgrade procedure.

Thanks,

Jim G [sig][/sig]

You can remove all references to the A: drive from device manager and restart your machine.
Windows should find the drive when it starts.

If this fails to fix your problem, you can use the F8 key just before Windows starts to go into safe mode and remove the drive references from there.

I have found on most of my machines that a trip to safe mode to look for duplicate devices will speed up a sluggish machine. If you find duplicates you need to remove ALL of them and restart for each type of device

Clear as mud !
--Hydro [sig][/sig]

i have to agree with Hydro, you will likely be suprized at the number of duplicates, i do the safe mode clean out as regular maintenance, my hard drive controller has been listed 8 times once. scrub them all and reboot - you likely have 2 versions , a standard and a name brand like matsushita etc, competeing.

caveat - youmust remove the &quot;root&quot; of a device last ie the hd channels (master - slave) then the controllew controller. [sig][/sig]

:))
its very simple ...
Normally for such old PC there was up to 4 diferent types of LPT , COM and floppy controlers , and on manufacturer site it writen BIOS with LGS , UMC or something like that ... if you make mistake , floppy will not work , but you can check if COM ports working and LPT as well , BIOS is choosen right.
And , one important thing , after upgrading BIOS you have to CLEAR CMOS data. or choose from setup load defaults.
After the first step or the second step floppy will work for sure :)

Tested by myself ... and not one time :) [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back