Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

lara19

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
PH
Hi, im BSOD with my comp, i checked my memory and i detected bad ram in test 5, 6 and 8 using memtest so i bought new memory module. after awhile i got BSOD again so planned to update my bios. This is the details of my bios....BIOS TYPE: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
BIOS DATE : 01/20/05
BIOS ID: 01/20/2005-PT800-8237-6A7L2E19C-00
OEM SIGN-ON: PT800CE-A 1.1E 01/20/2005
SUPER I/O: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 3 found at port 2Eh
CHIPSET: VIA 82C258 rev 0.

This is my mobo website :
Do i have the latest bios? even if the revision date different but i have the same version number?

If i have the latest BIOS and my memory modules ok. why do i get BSOD?

Looking at that, you do have the latest BIOS. There could be a number of causes for a BSOD. Check the event viewer to see what it says or look for the dump file.
It may be that the CPU is faulty or it may just be a software fault.
Post the result from event viewer or the dump file.

when i checked on my event viewer/aplications, there an aplication error on lsass.exe, dr watson postmortem debugger, iexplore.exe and Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

event viewer/system

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf804623, parameter3 f8664c9c, parameter4 00000000.
these are just one of the so mamy bsod i got.

where can i view my dump file?

If a dump file has been generated you can view it, by going to the root of your system drive (c:) & look for a file called memory.dmp
To check that the file should be created & where it should be do the following:
1) Right click on 'My Computer'
2) Go to 'Advanced'
3) the bottom option is 'Startup & Recovery', choose 'Settings'
4)You should be able to see what type of dump file is selected & where it should be.
If you are getting a BSOD, I suspect that the dump file option is turned on.
From what you have given from your event viewer, it looks more like a software fault. The dump file may help further.

how can i turn it off. i checked on the starpup and recovery options and everyrhing is checked,

I wouldn't suggest that you turn it off, but if you really want to uncheck the 'Write an Event to the system log'
You wont get a dump file created if you have a problem. However, if you want to stop the BSOD you should check 'Automatically restart'
You say that everything is checked, so it should just be restarting & not BSODing.

what i wqant to know is how can i stop my system from having a bsod after all i corrected te memory problem and knowing that my bios is up to date

I think you have a software problem, going by the event log.
Try a repair install of Windows.

my screen turns blank and i have to change the video card. my system is ok now. thanks for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back