Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bios update for ms 6161 motherboards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

triangman

Technical User
Sep 30, 2003
AU
Hi,

Does anyone have a newr bios for the ms 6161 motherboard?

the version I have is:

Award Modular Bios v5.41 PG

03/30/1999-i440lx-w977-2a69jm40c-00
ipex neon (ms 6161) bios v.1.2

I have found version 1.3 on driver guide for an lg ibm machine with the same mobo. the date is november 1999 the bios string is identical. will this work? Also Award bios update site esupport says they have one for $24.95 USD rather dear for AUS does anyone know anything about this version they "have"

I am seeking the update for faster cpu support.

Any help appreciated

Stu

Hardknox - yeah you are right, the free INFO, YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE on that...*G

btw I knew about the diffs of the celerons (the brown and green) but didn't know that that would matter too much... hmmm, got something new to ponder over again...

triangman - I hope you get it sorted out... and do let me (and everyone else) know what, where, and hows about it...

Ben

triangman.

I've just purchased one of these exact boards off eBay (the thing looked like it was excess stock - ie: looks brand new) with the 1.3 bios dated 19 October 1999 - it is an Ipex Neon as well.. If you havent done it or tracked it down yet, do you want me to save my bios to a file and send it to you ???

hi jackinoz,

that would be great. If you want to put a big hard drive in the system with this mobo you will need it get an pci ide controller card. This setup works perfectly I am running a 40GB hdd instead of the 4GB.

if i can be of help give me a yell

:)

Stu

OK triangman (Stu) ... will do it now ... wanna send me a hotmail address or somethingorother that I can attach the bios to..

I also checked the esupport test thing and it claimed a later bios with the following:

-Hard Drive support up to 137 GB
-Faster Intel and AMD CPU Upgrade Kit Support
-Windows 2000 and Windows XP Compliance
-ACPI Specification for Advanced Power Management
-CD-ROM + LS-120 Boot Support
-USB 2.0 Compliance

I suspect its a fudged hacked bios version that probably only has the 137GB support chucked in...as the 1.3 bios generally supports the other options like cd-rom booting.. The 1.3 I have is the official working version for this board..

If you want the bios sent, send me an email to skywalker@ixREMOVEMEFORSPAM.net.au - with the mobo number in the subject line.. remove the caps from the above of course !!

I am thinking about getting a new 80GB ATA100 HDD and wondering about compatibility with the MS-6161.

I know the HDD will only run at 33MHz but are there issues with the BIOS (I have v1.2 01/25/1999) recognising the full 80GB?

Does anyone know whether BIOS v1.3 on MS-6161 detects a Samsung 160GB hard drive? Or is it principally impossible for this board to support such big drives? (v1.2 does not, I have it unfortunately)

Regards,
Sasha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back