Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios say Quantum Fireball lct10 30GB is 9MB. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuxej

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
I have a Tivo unit. It's broken, so I'm using the Quantum Fireball lct10 30GB hard drive as a backup drive in my Compaq P166. I unplugged all my ide connection and use just the 30GB HD only (just to be safe). Here's the problem. The bios recognized it as a 9MB (9 megabites). Use win98 fdisk to delete the partition and re-partitioned it. Nothing changed. Use linux fdisk and still nothing. Does Tivo have a proctection thing on it or can all hardrive be partition to what it's suppose to be?

This is far the best in details about Tivo and it's upgrade. Even though 90% doesn't pertain to what I'm trying to do, it did show me how to unlock the drive. Hopefully this will help get back the 30GB I needed for my PC.

Thanks.

Hi, most Socket 7 board's don't support past 8gig on default, if you post your motherboard id / number hopefully there will be a BIOS flash you can use so that the hard drive is fully recognised.

This is what I believe to be your problem.

Good call, gargouille! Love the link too...much good info there! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

The site about the unlock thingy did work and I got my 30GB to detect correctly. And about the bios, I did that too but that wasn't the problem. Thanks anyway. Now I'm happy. The only thing is that I blanked out the hard drive so now I can't get Tivo's programs back if ever needed. Next step is to find a site or place to get the programs or software back. I have Redhat 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1. I'm not sure if these were the same OS Tivo was on. Anyway, hope someone could help out this one.

Yuxej

Man you give up easy, yuxej! LOL
Went back to the link I gave you to explore some nooks and crannies and found another link YOU need to explore...it is Linux...but I haven't read very far...

Hope you'll find what you need here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back