Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios restarting?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

31gerbe

MIS
May 12, 2002
NL
hi,
i have a little problem, every once in a while the computer reboots when starting up, he just checked the cd rom and then he just reboots. THis only sometime not all the time. Do you know what is wrong (anybody??)

Gerben

1) check your CPU fan is working

2) take out the memory and try with only one module at a time

3) remove all cards from system. Replace graphics card only. If the system boots insert another card. Boot again and so on.

4) Lower your CPU speed to something lower then it should be.

5) have you done a recent bios upgrade? A bad bios flash could cause the system to become unstable.

I have known a faulty CDROM or one where the IDE connector is badly seated to cause this problem. First try removing the IDE cable connector from the CDROM and replacing it. If it is the only device on that cable also remove and reconnect at the motherbord. If this does not work try it without the CDROM connected at all. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Hi,
I dont think it has to do with my memory or cards in the system because they always have worked fine. BUt I recently had to upgrade my BIOS but this didn't work. On the manufacturers site they told me to type in certain things, but my BIOS didn't recognise these codes, so I didn't even start flashing the bios, but this could be the cause. The cdrom could be the cause to, because I recently bought a cd rweriter, a Lite On 32x12x40 and this device works fine, I checked the ide cables from bought the drives, and the secondary ide cable was a bit loose on the cdrom, on the cd rw and the mainboard they were very tight, sort of speaking. Do I fitted the cable as it should be. Now it isn´t restarting so much anymore as first, but now my cdrom player wont detect any cd or cdrw, what is this for kind a problem??

By the way, when I bought my computer the processor was overclocked. First it was a 333 mhz and now it is a 450 mhz, so this could be also the problem, but I dont know how to make this undone or make it better (sorry for the bad sentences, i'm from holland and my english sentences are not always the way they should be).

Well, let me know.

Gerben

If you did not actually attempt to flash the BIOS then this should not be a problem.

Check and redo all the IDE connections again then go into setup and see if both the CDROM and the writer are detected. Set all IDE devices to Auto and force the system to detect them.

Overclocking from 333 to 450 is a bit extreme and could be the cause of the problem. To help with undoing this would need the exact make and model of the motherboard. Some can be done in the BIOS, others use jumpers or switches on the board. Basically what you need to do is find out the FSB speed of the motherboard and make sure that is set correctly then use the correct multiplier setting to achieve a speed of 133. For example if your FSB is 66, which it probably is, you would use a multiplier of 5. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Hi,
I just set everything to auto in the bios and the cdrom gets detected. All other devices (two HD's and a cd rw) are also detected. But my cdrom still dont read any cd's, I hear him trying to read the disk, but it just doesn't. The cd rw works perfectly, so maybe the cdrom is broken, the cdrom is about one year old and it is a actime. My cd rw is a liteon 32x12x40x, so I think these two things block each other, do you know how to unblock them (sort of speaking)?

My motherboard is a DFI Via Apollo MVP3, the FSB is 100 mhz, you can set this speed by jumpers, so the mainboard supports that 100 mhz, The mainboard has a maximum cpu speed of 550 mhz with the newest bios. with the old one (wich I have) supports a maximum cpu speed of 500 mhz. So the processor should be working fine or not??

Well let me know what I can fix. I hope I dont have to buy a new mainboard or cpu, because that's very expensive. And they dont got my kind a mainboards anymore, so I have to upgrade immidiately. Its kind a expensive so maybe you have a cheaap alternative.

Gerben

I would say your CDROM is faulty, they are not always very reliable beasts, as I said in earlier post this could cause all your problems. Can you borrow another CDROM and try it in the system? It is not uncommon for faulty CDROMS to appear to be working, light, spinning etc but still fail to read due to a laser or electronic fault. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back