Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS recognizes my SATA drive, XP install does not

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
When I boot up my computer, I see my hard drive's serial ID# flash on the screen. However, when I try to install Windows XP, XP tells me that there are no hard drives available.

I've tried to install both XP32bit and XP64- XP64 isn't supposed to require extra drivers (they're supposed to be on the install disc, says western digital), XP32 is. I tried XP32 just to see if the 32bit drivers would work, but it still can't find the drive.

I've run WD's hard drive diagnostic utilities -- they see the drive just fine -- and the tests all pass.

There is data on the drive, a few NTFS partitions that I don't mind getting rid of. But when I try a different EIDE drive with existing partitions, XP offers to delete those partitions for me, so I'm sure it's not just because the disk hasn't been formatted recently.

I don't have any other SATA-compatible computers to try the drive out on. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to try? Thanks very much.

liam morley

SATA drivers during the XP setup can be a little tricky. Although Western Digital is telling you that compatible drivers exist in the OS, they can't vouch for your motherboard and the SATA controller that's built in. That's typically where XP's installer has problems.

I would visit the mobo manufacturer's website for instructions/suggestions regarding your model. I've had to put the mobo SATA driver on a floppy (following their instructions) and use the F6 option in XP's setup many times in the past. This allows XP's installer to recognize the SATA controller.

Again, it's not the brand of hard drive that matters - it's the controller...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg, thanks for the reply. that's what I tried for XP32 (downloading the drivers from WD's website and installing them via F6 during setup), and it didn't work. WD doesn't have corresponding 64bit drivers, as it says that the drivers are already on the WinXP64 CD.

liam morley

What about my point that it's not the hard drive manufacturer you should be looking at?

Like I said, it's the driver for your motherboard. Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website for the SATA driver that you need.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back