Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaAH

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2003
GB
Hi

I posted a query yesterday regarding one of our sites forgetting the admin password on Windows 2000 Server and I got some helpful replies, the next problem I have is I need to boot the PC from a CD so therefore need to get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence and surprise surprise they do not know the password for this either - any ideas.

Thanks

Lisa

That becomes a whole other problem. Every motherboard and system has a different way of resetting the BIOS password. Some you can and some.. you can't.

Mostly, the desktops have a jumper on the motherboard to reset the BIOS. This basically resets the computer BIOS back to it's original state, therefore resetting the BIOS password also. Since every make and model are different, you can either find the manual and instructions on where this jumper or DIP switch is per make and brand.

If you can't find any information on the motherboard, then if it's an onboard battery, you can remove it and the power cord and wait like 10-15 minutes, then plug everything back in. This should reset the BIOS also. There is a chance that there is no onboard battery, which means there WILL be a jumper somewhere on the board. Sometimes it's identified on the motherboard also. It's often labeled as CMOS also.

If you have laptops, then most of the time you have to contact the manufacturer. Some laptops, like IBM, require you to change the motherboard....

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Thanks, we didnt really want to touch the hardware is there any software to hack the password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back