Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios password locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrflye

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
I need to unlock a bios password locked system. When I boot up system I get a black and white screen with PASSWORD (1): on it and nothing else. I have tried inserting recovery floppy and CD and still get same thing. System was locked by a teenager who won't give up password!

Well,there are several ways around this....I will assume you're referring to a desktop PC and not a laptop.

The easiest way is to reset the bios manually. You need to open the case and look at the motherboard. Right near the BIOS chip (AWARD AMI or similar) you will find a small black or blue "jumper" or connector slid over two of three pins in a row. One side is usually marked "reset" and the other "lock" or similar.

Remove this jumper and place it on "reset" .This should reset it and it shouldn't require a password. If this proves too daunting,find the round battery and remove it,clean it with a little alcohol and replace it being careful not to touch the surface too much.
This will also reset the BIOS.

If this is too complex and you don't feel comfortable,take it to your local PC shop and ask them to do it for you.

Failing all this,here's a link

Hope this helps

PAUL (Dorothy Dix)

Thank you for you response, I will let you know how it turns out!

Another way might be to remove the CMOS battery momenterilly, then reinstall it. The best way would be to find the owner's manual and follow their directions, and you can sometimes find a copy of it on the internet.

I tried both suggestions.........still locked..........since I can't get into BIOS i thought it was a BIOS password.......could it be a hard drive password afterall?

Sounds like a boot password. There is an opton;
Most BIOS makers have equipped their BIOSes with default passwords that work regardless of your chosen password.
These passwords are quite easily available from manufacturers websites and Hope this will help, good luck.

Another way is to remove the CMOS battery & start the system once without the CMOS battery, just for few seconds & then power off the system & install the CMOS battery back, this will reset the BIOS setting & The system will not prompt for password. If you still have the problem then try to press the letter "F" & "J" Simultaneously. Some BIOS will get refreshed with this letters.

Hope this will reslove you issue.

Are you sure this isn't an old server machine running an early version of Unix or something? When Unix boots up,it requires a password. Try ROOT. It might just be right :)

PAUL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back