Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS? Lost All Devices (Primary/2ndary IDE, Printer, SCSI...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2003
US
System: HP Kayak XA
O/S: ME

I lost all my devices after (perm) delete _RESTORE folder and turned off the system RESTORE.

- Primary IDE controller (Dual fifo)
- Secondary IDE controller (Dual fifo)
- Standard Floppy Disk Controller

- Adaptec AHA-294X/AIC-78XX PCI SCSI Controller
- Printer Port
- Iomega Click! Parallel Port Interface
- Iomega Parallel Port Zip Interface

all of them has "Code 10" error (printer port has code 24 error) in device manager.

I am guessing it may be fixable in the BIOS but don't know how. My boot device id is 4.

Also, during boot I can see the hardwares,CD ROMs and Adaptec PCI SCSI card, were detected. And after trying to reinstall all the dirver files. The device manager seems to know where they are via automatic search and even reported current driver file is better than the one I downloaded from HP support web site....)

Micker377,

Thanks ....hmmm...I don't usually open the box and know all the components.

What does this CMOS baterry look like?

Where can I locate it after opening the box?

Thanks

How old is the motherboard? If newer than few years, you should see a flat, shiny, disc about the size of a quarter. Carefully remove this and get a new one (about $5.00 USD), the type number will be on the battery. Before you do this, when the computer first boots up, go into the BIOS setup and write down all the settings. When you replace the battery, your CMOS will reset to "Default", which may not recognize your boot sequence and see the scsi board. If you're not familiar with what settings mean what, you may need help from a friend (who does know), or even take it to a repair shop.

micker377,

Thanks! I think I found the battery. It is stuck to the mother board not easy to come off. I am not sure to twist it or to pry it.

In any case, I also remember but I installed my 2nd CR-ROM (HP8200 retwirtable) I am similar issue. Someone in my IT support twig the BIOS and it started working. Wonder if you can hlep and take a look of my setting in the following.

Also, I downloaded a BIOS utitlity "PhoenixPhlash Utility" and got this Error Message

"Open failed on BIOS ROM image file"

Where can I recover, find, or re-create this image file?

Thanks!

===============
SCSI Bus Interface Definition
Host Adapter Scsi ID 4
SCSI Parity Checing Enable
Host Adapter SCSI Termination Automatic

Additional Option
BOOT Device Option
Boot Target ID 4
Boot Lun Num 0

SCSI Device Configuration #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7
Initiate Sync Negotiation Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Max Sunc Transfer Rate 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10
Enable Disconnection Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Send sat Unit Command no no no no no no no no

==========

Plug & Play Scan Support Enable
Host Adapter Bios Enable
Support Removeable Disk and Bios as Fixed Boot Only
Extended BIOS Translate for DOS Drives Enable
Display CTL-A during BIOS Load Enable
Multiple Lun Support Disable
Enable BIOS Support for Bootable CD-ROM Enable
BIOS Support for INT13 Extension Enable

Open failed on BIOS ROM image file"

Should mean that the update failed - no harm.

Also, I think you are confusing BIOS and CMOS. The BIOS ROM is the actual IC chip that holds the basic information of the computer. Can only be changed by "flashing". CMOS is the things that can be changed in "Setup", information lasts until you change it or the battery fails. System Restore wouldn't have helped this time, it only restores the Windows operating system - not the boot-up procedure.

Does your computer use the Pheonix Bios chip? On the first screen you see on boot-up (push the pause button on the keyboard), on the screen, you will see the type of Bios and the number of the Bios (write it down). Go to the manufacturer's website and make sure you have the correct Flash file. You may also want to check in the set-up screen to see if there is a line to turn off "BIOS PROTECTION".

micker377,

Thanks.

- Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 L is my verison. How do I check the flash file?

- I cannot find anywhere in setup to turn off "BIOS Protection"

In addition, I remeber I was struggling with BIOS few years before and someone in the IT support help me to make it work and I created a Window ME set up disk (cannot remember how I created.)

I use this floppy disk to boot, and it re-installed a bunch of stuff including a OAKCDROM.SYS. (during that boot, I saw my the CD-ROMs were assigned with a letter.) But this boot would take me to the help file on boot disk in command mode. And I don't know how to continue to get to windows.

(Also, I reboot in safe mode, the system regonized my CD ROM with the previously defined drive letters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back