Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bios Flash Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMark

Technical User
Nov 23, 2002
US
I have an Intel PD440FX motherboard with AMI Bios in a Micron PC running Win98SE.

In order to use a 15 Gig. HDD I am attempting to update the bios,currently 1.00.02.DT05. According to the documentation with file PD_BIOS9.EXE from Intel, version 1.00.07 or greater is needed to support drives over 8.3 Gig.

Followed directions with bios file carefully. While creating bootdisk (in Windows using directions in file) received a message ulib.dll not found, however the command.com and dos.sys files were created on the disk and the system did boot and run the Iflash utility. Other files were expanded and copied to the boot disk without error.

When booting from the disk all worked as expected, however when the flash process progress bar reached about 50% I got the following messages:

L05: Unable to prepare for flash

H02: Initialization for flash programming failed

Error: Flash update was unsuccessful

Can anyone help me with how I can update this bios.

THANKS.

If you get errors when making disks to flash your bios DON'T FLASH YOUR BIOS!!! Find out what went wrong and try again until you get an error free build. If you flash with a bad bios you could end up buying a new motherboard.

From a search in google:

It seems that the ulib.dll is either missing or corrupt. You should be able to extract the file from your windows cd. If not then you may be able to download it on the net, however the version may be an issue. Search on your system where the file exists and overwrite it (backup the original first). If its missing copy it to the windows/system folder. Then try remaking the bios boot disk. If you still get an error you may try making the disk on another pc.

Cheers

Thx to all who respond ;)

Check this post:

thread615-537516

ComTech recommends using the system file checker for another problem. This may solve your missing ulib.dll problem. You'll need the windows cd for this solution.

Cheers

Thx to all who respond ;)

Thanks to all who offered advice. Since the board is old and no longer suppported I'm going to look into the MaxBlast software that came with the larger drives so I can avoid the potential for turning the machine into a paperweight.

Thanks again.

Mark

I've got the same problem.
I'm fixing up a Pentium Pro 200 for my kid.
The Mobo is Intel VS440FX and I am trying to update the BIOS with the last BIOS version Intel had for it.

I did not get any errors when I created the boot diskette.
I do get the exact error message as Mark got.
I've check the current BIOS setup and it is fine.
I've cheked the Mobo jumpers and they are in the correct places.

Any other ideas anyone?
Thanks...

I'm also noticing the other thread you posted recently and I'll post there too...
I've been to Gateways site and found over 400 BIOS's/Updates dating back to 1995 or earlier...though they're not very specific in the details from this page
I own a PII 350Mhz and updated my BIOS a little while back and it was a bummer tracking down the right one at first(before they had that automated info utility running)....
and I didn't have to move the jumpers.....My Sys is Late 1999 model.....
Any way I've punched in some of your numbers in doing a search from there (link below)...and I've come close...but no cigar yet..because you have to follow the "more info" link to see if the update covers your specific MoBo/P-Pro...
It seems that you can
1)either find your Mobo Part# and search it that way on the gateway website
2)wade through the thicket till you stumble onto it...or
3)If your sure you have the right update .....get your machine up and running by resetting the Flash Recovery jumper in BIOS to recovery.....(do you have a recovery setting on jumpers.?)

Disconnect everything and leave it that way ( including power/keyboard/mouse/display/speakers/usb/etc).....
Open the case and Change the BIOS Flash Recovery jumper to the recovery mode position........
Put the Bootable BIOS upgrade disk you previously made into the floppy drive A:....
Now...
Plug in the power supply only and boot up....when the floppy light is on and the system beeps, the system is copying the BIOS recovery code into the flash device..
Be sure and wait until all activity is fully stopped(usually 2 beeps and no more floppy LED, though there may be pauses in between)..
Now.... Power OFF the system and change the jumper back to the default position...
Now....Hook up Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor so when you power back ON, you can see if it worked....You should leave the floppy in the drive to make sure the correct BIOS version was installed....
Now if it worked you can close the case and off you go!!
You can go into BIOS now and make any setup changes specific to your system that you may need...
Always Power OFF before hooking up anything...

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Before using the "MaxBlast" or any other Hard Drive overlay, remember that this overlay MUST be used until the HDD is re-formatted. When you do go to re-format the drive, you will have to Fdisk the "non DOS" partition before you can format it. If you are going to trash this HDD with the computer in the future, don't worry about it. But if you plan to re-use the Hard Drive in the future, just remember you will have problems.

Thanks for your input micker377.
As "TT4U" mentioned above, I've posted this issue as a new post.

Please check that newer post (I'm fixing up an older Pentium Pro ) for many helpful replies!
Thanks
Ron.

Please explain why a bios upgrade is preferable to an overlay if that is true. I've heard an overlay is unstable as one uses it more and more? Is that true? Why?

Is it better (pricewise or ease of performing the task) to download a bios upgrade or contacting the manufacturer of one's bios chip to see if they have an upgrade replacement chip?

My guess is, when you write and rewrite, which erases in the course of writing, one might erase some formatting, thus making that part of the disk non writeable. But the format recognized by a bios only has to be formatted once and one does not have to simulate a bios and a format, in order to see the whole hard drive and the information. Please correct anything I am saying, as it is only a guess!

Please explain why a bios upgrade is preferable to an overlay if that is true. I've heard an overlay is unstable as one uses it more and more? Is that true? Why?
Don't know much about overlay's ....but in short... AFAIK
An overlay rewrites an area in the MBR which in turn communicates with the BIOS..to add say...LBA/Interrupt 13...to enable large Disk support...
This is basically what a Flash upgrade will do and it'll write directly to the Cmos code in BIOS ROM chip...
Is it better (pricewise or ease of performing the task) to download a bios upgrade or contacting the manufacturer of one's bios chip to see if they have an upgrade replacement chip?
A Flash upgrade is FREE and the Cmos ROM chip is usually Soldered onto the mobo....Why go messin with that.?

I really don't quite understand what you're asking in the last part...[sadeyes]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back