Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS detects the drive but windows98 won't

Status
Not open for further replies.

chonkyfire

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
I have a Western Digital WD400 that's been giving me problems.

For background info: I was hooking up my playstation 2 VGA box to my monitor when my PC crashed. Upon restarting my computer all i got was a blinking cursor in the top left hand portion of the screen after the first screen of bios ran. Since the 2nd page of bios failed to run, i assumed it was a motherboard problem.

I've been trying to hook up my HD to my parents PC to make sure it's ok and I can't get windows to detect it. When i install it as the primary master i get a "no system disk" error. When it's installed as a secondary master, windows doesn't detect it. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Are you attaching it to the same version of the OS? There is a difference between versions. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Actually, no. My drive is loaded with XP Pro and my parent's PC has windows 98. Should that make a difference if I'm connecting my drive as the primary master tho?

Your HDD may not be damaged. It is too early to tell. The fact that Win98 cannot detect the HDD could indicate that your HDD may have been formated under NTFS under which Win98 could not detect.
I think that it could be a problem in the moBo. You will have to enter into the MoBo setting to check the setting. The crash could have alter the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back