Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bios card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudman

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
US
does any one know of a site that can show me a diagram of a bios cards jumper settings? I have a Adaptec AHA-1522A 1990 that I need to use with a 2 gb hd and need to redo the jumper settings, its not letting me regognize A:> Any help would be greatly appreciated

that a scsi card that should not cause a prbloem with a floppy So long and thanks for all the fish.

Try another floppy
re seat floppy cables on drive and MB
try differnt cable.

Thanks for all the cats!

Without having the card documentation in front of me, I suspect that you have a floppy version of the controller which is interfering with the on board floppy. Cripple the M/B floppy controller and drive the floppy off the scsi card.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The AHA-1522x comes with the floppy port enabled at default. On the
AHA-1522/1522A, the J7 jumper is installed for enabling the port. Simply
remove the jumper to disable it. The AHA-1522B is jumperless and
switch (5) should be placed in the closed position (closest to the card) to
disable the port.

This didn't work!!! What I am trying to do is take a small 486 with 170mb hd and add a 2gb hd that is run by this bios card. The ribbon is larger on this drive and was ran on a 386 with this bios card originally. When I plug card in and have 2gb hd hooked up it windows 3.1 reads the extra hd as D, C=170mb hd. Says A: is there but when I put a disk in A: and try and get dir error says A: drive does not exsist!! Unplug card and A: reads again! Trying to install a cd rom on D and windows 95 CD on D hd also but can't get started cause a: won't read. HELP

Did you follow the instructions of ShaithisD? Which version board do you have?
What drives the existing hard drive? Does the floppy work off the same card?
Can you cripple that floppy controller?
You will have to kill one of the floppy controllers, then use the other as the FD controller.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Yes, I removed J7 on Bios card and no success. The mother board drives the 170 mb hd = C: and doesn't matter if I put the ribbon on the bios card or on mother board = same result of showing that the a: is there but when I try and read a: then it says "this drive does not exist". However, it works and reads a: when the bios card is unpluged.

How do you "CRIPPLE" or "KILL" a floppy controller? Don't have manuals on either the bios card or mother board. So I don't know how to work jumpers. My bios card is a
Adaptec AHA-1522A (labeled on card) and computer recognizes it as a Adaptec AHA-1520 when booted.
hope this helps. sure apreciate the trouble I'm putting you through.
knk

All the 486s I've worked with had offboard FD/HD stuff so I kinda expected you to have two controller boards to work with. And the offboard ide/floppy controllers usually had a switch/jumper to disable the floppy.
With on onboard controller you usually go into advanced functions. Usually has comport choices at the same place.
As an alternative you might be able to set the adaptec floppy to an alternative address. Haven't looked on the documentation but will check this evening.
What you have described is a symptom of two controllers fighting over whose floppy gets to read. Never mind that the Adaptec doesn't have a floppy attached.
I think the last time I needed documentation on the board I got it at the Adaptec web site. You might want to check there. The sheet is in the usual geekspeak but they do have good pictures. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Ed Fair; Thanks for all your help. I tried adaptec.com before but couldn't get much. This time I registered bios product. Don't know if this will help me get tech. support or not, we'll see.
I have the card - lots of jumpers! J5 has DT 0, BT X, M0 0,
M1 0, SN X, DN X, R- 0, R- 0. J6 HAS SD X, SD X, SD X, IC 0, IC X, DC 0, DC 0, SP 0. J7 0. J8 DR 0, D6 0, D5 0, D0 0, DA 0, D6 0, D5 0, D0 0, 1 0, I2 X, I1 0, I0 0, I9 0, AL 0, J6 X, J4 X, BE X. WHERE 0 = OPEN AND X = JUMPERED.
Hope this helps.
You mentioned going to advanced functions.? Is this in the setup bios screen that you go to when booting?
Thanks again
knk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back