Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BIOS & AMD & XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbell

MIS
Feb 19, 2002
AU
I recently did a full upgrade (formatted disk) from ME to XP Professional. I had the expected problems with drivers but have been able to source the appropriate XP compatible drivers. I am running an AMD Athlon 1GHz motherboard from epox at
I still have a problem with the modem. I purchased an XP compatible Zoom PCI V.92 modem but still can't get it to hold a connection for more than three minutes.

I thought I'd have a look at the BIOS so opened the CD which came with the motherboard. On opening it I found sub directories for Win9x, Windows200 and Win NT.

Question: My PC was running ME, from the Windows family, it's now running XP from the NT family. Should my BIOS be loaded for XP? And finally, could a suspect BIOS be giving me my modem troubles?

I'm not alone here, I've seen many many posts on various sites with similar modem problems.

Tia
Greg

I had trouble with my Elsa modem when I first updated to XP, re- installing the drivers (In this case the Widows 2000 drivers which should work ok) solved the problem.

Hi Greg,

I had a problem with a V.92 modem not holding the connection for very long and spent many hours trying to find a cure, eventually I found out that my ISP didn't support V.92 standard. I swapped modems back to V.90 and haven't had a single problem since.

Hve you tried visiting for drivers for your modem (according to the file info for each driver they support XP), try downloading a new driver from them and then installing it (you may find that you need to uninstall the existing driver first, use hardware manager to remove it).

If it annoys Microsoft then it's worth doing, and doing well!!

just a note: If your modem is v92 and your isp is still only v90 you should still be able to connect as your modem should be backwards compatible. If it annoys Microsoft then it's worth doing, and doing well!!

I have the exact same modem on XP Professional. I have never had a problem with it. The first thing I did do before installing it was go to Zoom's site and download the XP driver. No problems at all and it is backward compatible with V90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back