Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Biometric fingerprint systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrruuunnn

Technical User
Jun 1, 2008
Once in a while a POS dealer will tell me that their POS uses a their own custom biometric software. Also, some dealers are claiming faster or very slow access. Are these companies required to create their own software to use the fingerprint scanners?

Is Pixelpoint compatible with fingerprint scanners?

Most of the POS companies integrate a known biometric device into their own hardware / software. Most biometric device companies will offer some type of SDK to totally integrate the software to the hardware.

Problems with biometric devices:
The more employees, the larger the recognition database = slower response.

Color of skin, quality of fingerprint, etc has an affect on the accuracy or ability to recognize.

Some POS companies will only load the recognition database of clocked-in employees, this is ok after they are clocked in to improve response time, but still sucks for employees first clocking in.

If the recognition technology doesn't use some sort of fingerprint detection algorithm, but visual input only, then this can be easily fooled (Like use a pencil eraser on the optic in place of a fingerprint).

I've worked with several, and my fingerprint hardly ever works and some people's works fine every time. Unfortunately I have yet to find one that works well enough to install in a pilot location for a test. -It's getting better, just not quite there yet in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back