Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

biometric and vfp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgemtz

Programmer
Jun 14, 2005
MX
hi everybody.... i recently develop a employe's check time program now my boss want a biometic software conected to the program... my quuestion is... the finger print scanner waht give.... a jpg image... numbers, characters?? so i put in employe's database so the program can identify when they check in or check out....

TNX
Jorge

The normal output of a fingerprint scanner is an image.
2.0 FINGERPRINT SCANNERS

The following subsections describe the image quality performance characteristics required for a fingerprint scanner (live scan and card scan). These specifications require that the scanner shall capture fingerprints at a minimum resolution in both the detector row and detector column directions (also known as 'along-scan' and 'cross-scan' directions) of 500 pixels/inch, plus or minus 5 pixels per inch. The final output delivered image from the scanner system shall have a resolution of 500 pixels/inch, plus or minus 5 pixels per inch, and each pixel shall be gray level quantized to 8 bits. [Requirement described in the ANSI standard: Data Format for the Interchange of Fingerprint Information, ANSI/NIST-CSL 1-1993.]

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.
ReFox XI (www.mcrgsoftware.com)

Unless you're going to do the programming for the image recognition and matching, you're going to need someone's SDK for biometrics... I was looking into this for my point-of-sale applications and this seems to be the easiest way to implement biometrics. Be prepared for the cost of the SDK tho.... the hardware is cheap, but not the image recognition software.

Andy Snyder
SnyAc Software Services

Another important cost of biometric applications is the risk of upsetting or offending your customers. You'll find a lot of resistance to the idea of giving fingerprints or other biometric readings for no apparent reason.

In Jorge's case, if the employees have been found to be cheating the clocking-in procedure, that might be a case for some form of biometric recognition. Banking applications such as ATMs are another good use for this technology.

But if you're thinking of introducing biometrics just because the technology is available, be prepared for a gread deal of hostility from employees or resistance from customers.

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

So true Mike.... I'm only planning to use the biometrics on the employee side of the application in security routines and in my loan applications where the customer has to supply positive identification anyway...

Andy Snyder
SnyAc Software Services

Andy,

Be careful, the current range of biometric devices are, frankly, rubbish.

Short of DNA testing and (possibly) iris recognition all of them can be fooled by simple photocopies.

One construction company I know uses facial recognition to try and stop site operatives from submitting bogus timesheets - but a photocopy of a face on a stick seems to bypass that one!

As for fingerprints - even easier, the faker 'lifts' a print using sticky tape and then (once again) photocopies a dusted result to make a handy stick-on pad for their finger. Piece of cake.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

That is true for un-attended applicaitons. However in all of the cases where a fingerprint reader would be used there would an employee present with the customer.

Andy Snyder
SnyAc Software Services

Aren't there magnetic fingerprint readers on the market? I can see how a photo copy could fool an optical reader but I don't see how it would work on a magnetic fingerprint reader.

I'm guessing the magnetic readers are more expensive though?

Ralph Kolva

thank to all for the wide variety of answers... give more things to think about it.... and of course to say to my boss
merry xmas to all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back