Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bio Upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilebalar

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi,

My computer keeps freezing. From reading the Event Log, it is saying that my BIO is attempting to write/read illegally. Is Bio Upgrade the way to go? If so, which vendor is the best for selling bio upgrade?

Thanks.

what do you mean with BIO (upgrade)?
whats the event (error) number?

If you mean BIOS upgrade the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer is usally the only place to go and the upgrade is usually free. First find out just what the problem is before you jump into an upgrade.

Sorry, forgot the S in BIOS.

The event id is 4 and 5.

Event ID: 4
Source ACPI
Type Error
Description ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Event ID: 5
Source ACPI
Type Error
Description AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0xcf8), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability.

So isn't my BIOS needs upgrade?

Thanks.

Try turning off ACPI support in the bios if you can. What MOBO and what make of bios?

acpi is responsible for power management/irq sharing. its not really needed on desktops, specially if they (the hw)are not 100% compatible to acpi.
if you get shutdown issues (not power off) then go to controlpanel/erergy options and enable apm.

My Motherboard is a FIC AZ11EA and the BIOS is from Award. I just flashed my BIOS. I am going to see if my computer still freezes, if it does, I will try turning off the ACPI support in BIOS. I need to find out how to do that.

Thanks.

Update...

Hi. It's been 2 days after upgrading the BIOS and no freezes!

Thanks.

I was wondering if the bios update worked. I have the FIC AZ11E (not the AZ11EA) doing the exact same thing. I was also contemplating a bios update. Thanks in advance

Yes, it worked! It's been 2 months with no freeze! I am so happy to find the BIOS upgrade free on its website. I paid $69 before to buy the upgrade but that didn't work.

Thanks, I'm getting ready to upgrade mine also.....

as Franklin mentioned, many times if power management is activated in both the bios setup, as well as the OS in control panel, there will at some point probably/eventually be a hang. It usually happens when the machine trys to come out of a standby or sleep condition. You can usually turn off one or the other, but off in the bios is usually the best be and let the os handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back