Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Binding of File and Printer sharing to NetBEUI and NOT IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolfie

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US
I have 3 computers on a LAN connected to a router/bridge to my ISP. I have been running IP and sharing files within my LAN. I was recently advised that it is much safer to run NetBEUI for my LAN and maintain IP for internet access (netbeui is available on the XP CD). To do this, I was told to remove the binding of file and printer sharing to IP and bind it to NetBEUI.

On the properties menu of my Ethernet board, I find both IP and NetBEUI protocols, and File and Print sharing, but I don't see that it is bound to any specific protocol...nor how to "unbind" it.

Can anyone help me out? If I can get this working, I'll need to do it on one other XP machine and one 98 machine. I'd appreciate information on the 98 computer, also...if you know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Actually, I found the answer. Under network connections, highlight the ethernet board, pull down the advanced menu, advanced settings. all the bindings are there. Under 98, you have to go to TCP/IP for the ethernet board and remove the bindings.

It all seems to work well...on both of my XP computers and 98 computer. Still connect to internet via IP and home network using NetBEUI.

Now, to my understanding, no one can come in via IP and share my files...I hope.

Jeff

This is exactly how I run/setup my home network!

Someone trying to get in, can, if they are talented enough. You should also have a good firewall, antivirus, antitrojan, antispyware and follow strong security procedures for internet (sripts, activeX, etc.)and email. Again if someone really wants in...well the best you can do is make it very difficult to find you and hack you!

Not to sound paraniod but I've never been breached...knock on wood ;)

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back