Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BindDataRow without specifying rows in DataRow

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphungtham

Programmer
May 26, 2004
CA
Just wondering if anyone knows how to bind columns in the datarow without having to create the rows manually. I am calling a stored procedure that returns a recordset. To make things work I have to call "cursor.BindColumn( 1, "defaultLand::DataRow4", "ProjectNumber" )", I have to do this for everyrow that gets returned by the stored proc.

Just wondering if you could somehow do it automatically, just like when you use regular text query sources and call a select query.

SQL Server, or Oracle? Are you creating temp tables, and doing your final select from there? With Oracle, you will have to manually bind the variables to the data row; SQL Server you shouldn't have to do that; you should be able to get the fields once you 'run' the Stored Procedure Data Source Builder.

Bill

I am using SQL Server. It does it automatically if I use the Stored Procedure Data SOurce Builder, but I have to pass in an Input parameter, I need to pass in the parameter programatically so I use "OpenCursor("exec ....")" to call the procedure from a DataBaseSource object.

Then I guess it depends on when you get your value to pass to the stored proc. Where does the value come from? The reports I work on all use SP's (SQL Server) and the SP's have the input parms defined; the values are set in the data stream START methods of Actuate.

However, we use a fairly complex system, and have Actuate embedded in our own custom application.

Bill

I am also passing input parameters to the SP in the start method of the data stream. What datastream object do you use?

-Somsong

Sorry, I should have been more clear. We use the SP builder, so the input parameters are defined to the report there. However, because of the complexity of our reports (all reports have the ability to burst other reports and extensive sequential sections) global variables are set to the values in the data stream's start method. The application that wraps around Actuate passes the user values to the report via this methodology.

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.
I have another question, I'm looking for a way to make a report call another report. I would really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks again for all your help.

-Somsong

Call an existing report, or call for a new report to be created?

Also, what version of Actuate are you using? Report Cast or Active Portal? Is Actuate out-of-the-box?

Hey Bill,

I'm using Actuate e.Report Designer Professional 6 Service Pack 1. Actuate isn't out of the box, we use it to develop reports for our Deltek Vision system.

I would like to call an existing report. For example, one report lists a bunch of projects and when you click on one project another report gets called, the new report will contain the list of team members who have worked on the project.

Thanks in advance.

-Somsong

If you want to link to another ROX just do the following for your link expression:

"ProjectTeamMembers.rox?ProjectID=""" & [ProjectId] & """"

The added quotes are for string values being enclosed in quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back