Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bind9 master insisting on checking NS at root

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Faith

Systems Engineer
Sep 17, 2021
GB
Hi Guys,
I have an issue which baffles me.
I will keep it really concise and add extra info if needed.
I have created an Edge DNS server (Bind9) on Ubuntu 20.04 in the DMZ. The idea is that it answers queries from internal clients for zones for which it is configured as "master" (although not registered a an NS at root level), so if you're on the Internet you go to the real NS out there in the cloud and get an external IP, but if you are an internal client you consult the Edge DNS server in the DMZ, and get an internal IP.
I have "recursion no", and I have zone files for about 30 zones with "master" configurations.
The problem is that named is seemingly ignoring the fact that it is defined as a master for these zones, and it is discovering the real master, consulting it and returning an external address. If I do a @dig @server -t NS <domain_name> +norecurs" it returns nameservers on the internet, not itself.
I can't find any controls that stop this behaviour (but there are so many!). Maybe it is not possible (in fairness it is a bit weird to want to do this!)?
Any help appreciated!

Not yet Anabella, but I am still working on it. I am actually beginning to wonder if Bind supports this kind of configuration. I know "Efficient IP" does, but maybe it does some voodoo under the hood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back