Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

binary files

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse123

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2002
US

We are using CVSNT in solaris 9. and we have some jsp files. I just want to find out which jsp files are in binary and which one are in ASCII.

aperciate your help

I'm not completely familiar with your program, but you could try the "file" command.

If I do remember, jsp files stand for "java server page" and they should be all ascii?

Thanks Spamly and Chacalinc,

Yes, this is "java server page" and these should be in ASCII, but some of the developer put them as as binary. Basically we migrating CVS from Windows to Solaris.

oh.. may be you jave some .jar files, they are grouped/compressed files (same as .zip) or they could be java beans or java objects (compiled with java *.class).

anyway, use "file" command as spamly stated.-

I *think* what is going on is that the jsp files were ftp'd? to the Solaris server from a Windows server.

Binary transfers the file exactly as it is, and you don't want to do this on a Windows/Solaris Solaris/Windows setup because of the CR mismatch. ASCII will translate the CR properly.

If I am correct in what I am assuming, just vi the file and if you see ^M at the end then you know how it was sent. In that case, run "tr -d '\r' < file.jsp > filenew.jsp" and that will strip the CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back